Recruiting difficulties

Perhaps not. Perhaps I inferred it from the fact that he said we are not seriously involved with anyone currently available plus the reasonable expectation that there will be far fewer newly available transfers going forward than there already have been and we landed two out of the thirteen hundred or so that already entered the portal.

While you have their ear bring up stealing the Illinois uniforms.

6 Likes

I think there will be another wave as all the people who declared for the draft (like 100 or 200 maybe) get their feedback and either they want another school or the school already recruited that spot because they couldn’t wait. and then whenever those guys land there’ll be another ripple. Along with players getting a sense of their role first few weeks of practice I do agree that most have made their intentions known but players have until July 1st to declare their intention to transfer. Id say 80% of players who are going to transfer have already let their intentions to transfer be publicly known.

2 Likes

I’ll take the under on 300 additional transfer portal entries and I would wager the avg attractiveness to our program of the incremental entry will be lower than what we’ve already seen

Edit: I derived my 300 from the 80% estimate not the 100-200 explicitly stated

1 Like

Good points. It’s also possible with IM in the fold maybe we shift back to guys we had limited interest in initially. Maybe we call a Corey Walker or Daryl Morsell as examples. Hoo knows, maybe someone out there was waiting for this commit before entering and heading our way.

1 Like

As has been mentioned, without a proven 3 man are we really rolling out Kihei Reece Armaan? Oof

Or relying on Kody or Taine to consistently produce at the 3? Seems super risky

Who the hell is girding all those big FSU style guards and wings we’ll see in league?

Those just seem illogical and I’m a know nothing arm chair qb

1 Like

To be fair to CTB, Furst and Kaufman BOTH chose a very good in-state option, which was Purdue – so they are not necessarily the best examples of CTB missing on his recruits. That said, I actually do agree that our recruiting is below par given our past success. I also agree that our usually anemic offense is the primary reason why. But it is what it is. I’ll ride with CTB regardless. Oh, and Kihei made that pass! :laughing:

6 Likes

Yes and I’m shocked you’re shocked

1 Like

Nice to be able to recruit your own state, eh?

3 Likes

You think that would be a good idea? Especially without Hauser and Huff bombing 3s?

Don’t be gone – there’s plenty of beer left in the keg! :grinning:

1 Like

Honestly it would’ve been easier to swallow if they didn’t go to the same damn school lol

2 Likes

My daughter goes to Purdue, so I’m sorta okay with it. :wink:

1 Like

This whole thread is like a false reality of how fans see recruiting, to be honest. I don’t even know where to start. You’re over examining a lot of irrelevant things.

All comes back to opportunity to evaluate. UVA went for the players they felt comfortable recruiting. Those two overseas guys played against good competition, every game on high quality streams the coaches could study. Part of the reason there’s so many transfers this year is because there’s an increased demand for them. There weren’t enough 2021 recruits discovered since 2 of 3 stages of discovery were wiped out. Some coaches took chances on guys that weren’t evaluated all that much. UVA and many others did not.

24 Likes

This is why next transfer summer will be interesting like this one. Not as many transfers, but I imagine kids under-evaluated at midmajors might bounce leading to a lot of talented players with 3-4 years left.

Doesn’t matter if there are 100 new transfers enter the portal or 1000. Just need 1 ready made 3/4 combo forward with shot blocking and rebounding skills. Oh and great 3pt shooter too!

As a fan, It is not my place to suggest good ideas. I’m merely noting what I see as the most probable outcome.

I think two things are pretty obvious at this point:

1. We really didn’t get any recruiting bump from the national championship. Tony still fine with 50+ rated recruits and still can’t close on top 35 types.
  2. All coaches, including Tony, will need to adjust to the free transfer rule. This is a challenge to his “get old, stay old—wait your turn” style. Ask yourself this question: if that rule was in effect in the summer of 2017 (after Ty, Kyle, Deandre, Mamadi first year) how many would have transferred? I’d put the over/under at least at 2.

I really cannot emphasize how untrue the “we didn’t get any recruiting bump post national title” narrative is. There is almost no chance we get JAR (rip), Murphy, or Hauser without the national title. The caliber of player coming in since the title is without precedent under CTB

3 Likes

We got recruits like JAR and Morsell (see 2016 class) and transfers like Murphy and Hauser (see Key, Gill, etc) before the NC. When I say bump, I mean making inroads with top, top recruits. E.g., like what Gonzaga’s done in the last few years.

3 Likes