Recruiting-High Stakes September

Regarding his timeline, I found this from a recent SI article.

As for Kaufman’s collegiate decision, the No. 55-ranked prospect in the nation is unsure of when he’ll officially decide.

He thinks it’ll be much like when he chose his top five, and he’ll just have a feeling of which school is right for him.

“I don’t know if I’ll do a top three, or a top two, I don’t know, I’ll probably just decide on a school,” Kaufman said. “I don’t really have a game plan for how I’m going to do this; it’s kind of just how I feel.”

6 Likes

See how info is everywhere these days. Im happy Brian clarified that Kaufman really like the Grounds. I was told by a few people and a mod, Kaufman didnt see the Grounds as a positive. So thats good tu hear. I still say he will go tu Indiana.

4 Likes

I’m not so sure. I think we have a real shot here. With Indiana, there is a high-probability that he may be utilized more at the five than UVA. It sounds as if we are selling him the Hunter role to some degree.

5 Likes

Indiana has a commitment from Logan Duncomb. I would imagine he would play the five long before Kaufman. And, if Trayce Jackson-Davis leaves early for the draft, a very real possibility, then Kaufman would be needed at the four. I’m not sure projected positions are an issue here.

1 Like

Something is holding him back from pulling the trigger for the local front-runner. Seems like 50/50 tossup for us and could go either way depending on what he ultimately prioritizes.

7 Likes

Honestly, it seems we are where he may want to be but family, friends, and familiarity may win out. I sure wish we could have gotten him on an official visit. Indiana has us there. Unusual year and circumstances. If he makes an official, I feel we could win this battle. However, it could still be difficult keeping him with family closer to Indiana.

2 Likes

True! However, I think Kaufman is more ready and there are more options with him at 5, especially when going small until a 5 is ready and / or Trayce leaves. Whereas, here he’s got to feel that he can at least compete with McCoy and possibly Murphy for the 4 right away. I’m sure he’s intrigued by playing a 3/4 combo like Hunter, this the comments. Why wouldn’t he?

2 Likes

If I were a recruit and considering Indiana vs. Virginia, I’d think long and hard about the coaching records of Archie Miller and Tony Bennett.

1. Overall W-L percentages: Miller .647, Bennett .743

2. Conference W-L percentages: Miller .588 (.448 in three seasons in the Big 10), Bennett .678 (.701 in 11 seasons in the ACC)

3. After 3 years at Indiana, Miller finished 6th, 9th & 10th in the Big 10 (worse each year) vs. Bennett finished 9th, 7th, 4th (better each year)

4. Miller: has made the NCAAs 4x in 8 (50%) seasons as head coach (doesn’t include last year when Indiana wouldn’t have made it)
    Bennett: made the NCAAs 9x in 13 seasons (69%) as head coach (doesn’t include last year when Virginia would have made it)

5. Indiana had major injury problems last year, but evaluating his overall performance at Indiana, Miller not only has had worse conference records each year, but their best performance was 9-9 in Miller’s first year. If Indiana doesn’t improve significantly in the next 2 seasons, Miller likely will be fired as head coach.

In contrast, Virginia’s conference record not only improved over Bennett’s first 3 seasons at UVa, the Hoos tied for 4th place in his 3rd season.

1. Finally, national coach of the year awards: Miller none, Bennett 3

Who would you rather play for?? I’m biased as a Virginia fan, but it seems pretty clear that Bennett is the best coach by a wide margin.

15 Likes

Not biased at all. Archie is a complete joke. No clue how he is at an storied place like Indiana.

5 Likes

I really think this is a heart vs. head choice. For a lot of people it is a personal choice. He knows what he gets if he stays home. Play in front of family and friends. Play with your AAU buddies. Have a straight shot as playing time as a FR. May want to stay closer to home during these COVID times. Go to UVa and play for a better coach and get your body ready to the pros with Curtis. Get better playing against better competition in practice. Get a better education. Even you don’t know your teammates you can imagine the type of players TB recruits. Your head tells you that it is the place to go. What do you choose? For some people it is easy. For others not so much.

12 Likes

*Good point…I didn’t know about the rule.

I think this falls under the “never tweet at recruits” rule

Agree. Let TB handle it.

1. Natties: Miller 0, Bennett 1
2 Likes

Somebody that knows Kaufman a little bit said Mike Curtis was a big chip for UVA. Bennett goes in-depth with recruits, the nuts and bolts, detailed plans. Not many coaches do that. Some like it some don’t. Seems to resonate with Kaufman anyway.

15 Likes

Kaufman is doing his homework and these are the type kids we have a chance with.

5 Likes

IU is what it is for him. Nothing else for them to say. As time passes UVa can give him more and more good info. I wonder if TB setting up zoom calls between him and current players for him to get to know them a little bit. I know McKoy was a good recruiter with Murphy even though they play the same position.

2 Likes

Seriously doubt Kaufman reads these posts; it’s not Twitter. My point was solely intended for LRA readers in case some were not aware of Miller’s relatively mediocre career. My guess is that Kaufman has been well aware of the differences in the records of the two coaches and has been taking that into account from the beginning. I agree with the comment that it’s probably a “heart vs. head” decision for Kaufman.

6 Likes
  1. Sweaty, cheater brothers: Miller 1, Bennett 0
6 Likes

Crazy thought – what if we landed Patrick Baldwin, Jr.? He knows he’s going top 5 in the draft regardless of where he laces up. So why not spend a season with a Stevens Point legend (CTB) and simultaneously avoid the for some unwelcome carnival that is Puke basketball? Surely Dad would understand. :wink:

1 Like