Recruiting

Well… it wasn’t the best cycle ever

4 Likes

Lol scrolling through 2020 HGN posts, and, I completely blacked out that we made the final 3 for Moses Moody??

7 Likes
5 Likes

This seems to mean that mid-majors are going to get better players out of high school but lose them within a year or two if they have a breakout season.

Does this narrow or exacerbate the gap between mid-majors and high-majors? I honestly can’t tell.

It might also give an advantage to high major coaches who are particularly good at spotting talent in high school.

6 Likes
1 Like

Stop rushing me, these are complex financial arrangements that we have to study carefully!

3 Likes

Not surprisingly, lots of contradictory advice, which reminds us, every recruit is an individual and has different preferences. Super tricky for coaches to get it right.

4 Likes

“I’d tell them to chill on the food. On these visits, all you do is eat. We eat and eat and eat and I can’t eat any more. I’m not joking. Sometimes you feel like you need a break from eating when you go on these visits”

That’s the best one. Reminds me of a friend that told me that vacations are basically just finding things to do until you’re allowed to eat again…

12 Likes

so what do you want for lunch … while at lunch - so what do we do for dinner???

2 Likes

I get it though. I mean, you can’t spend every second in the gym or touring facilities. You can’t talk about basketball 100% of the time. Where and how else is a middle aged dude gonne feel comfortable sitting down and hanging out with a 17 year old.

I don’t see many coaches saying “Hey man, wanna go back to my place and play some COD? The wife won’t mind. Also, I write my own anime if you want to read any of it.”

5 Likes

UVA specific but 2J has taken guys to humpback in the past. Think I would make that a staple of officials if I was a UVA coach.

1 Like

Louisville figured out some other ways to kill time with recruits in Minardi Hall back in the Pitino era.

11 Likes

Not sure why but your quotes part sounded kinda creepy

5 Likes

See? Thats why you go to a public restaurant and eat.

2 Likes

Wanna hear something creepy er. Young Fresh had his first bagel ever at Bernie Fines house in Syracuse…

2 Likes

“Hi kids! Welcome to UVa! Now let’s all go back to our own rooms and play on our phones. Sound good?”

“This is the best visit ever!”

4 Likes

No. Stop. This is the most “I want to hear it / I don’t want to hear it” story ever. Please tell it / never ever tell it.

1 Like

man you cant make it up.

1 Like

It’s a Jim Gaffigan bit as well…

4 Likes

Kentucky lol. Why would any recruit not ranked in the top 10 consider them anymore. Sit on the bench for a year behind the top 10 recruits and transfers and then transfer out after a year.

4 Likes