⛹ Reece Beekman - Offical Thread

The performance in the first half by Reece Beekman was the best performance of any UVA guard I’ve ever witnessed and Im in my fifties. Offensively and Defensively a masterpiece.
There I said it!!!

9 Likes

I wont disagree but… Bryant Stith?

2 Likes

theres no denying Stith’s greatness but for whatever reason this performance just stands out to me both offensively and defensively.

1 Like

Love the perspective and me too.

Edit: just saw you said Guard

2 Likes

Would say it’s the best 1st half by a UVA guard since Brogs against UNC when College Gameday came to town.

3 Likes

Maybe a mod could merge this with the existing Reece Future NPOY thread

2 Likes

What a joke

5 Likes

I am very fortunate in that I’ve been watching Cavalier basketball, up close and personal, for over 50 years. I have witnessed some stellar performances by UVa guards (and forwards and centers). That said, and hyperbole aside, I don’t think I would want to rank any of them. Barry Parkhill, Jeff Lamp, Othell Wilson, Richard Morgan, John Crotty, Cory Alexander, Harold Deane, Curtis Staples, Sean Singletary, J. R. Reynolds, Mustapha Farrakhan, London Perrantes, Kyle Guy, & Ty Jerome have all had very memorable games (I apologize if I omitted anyone and I’m sure I did). All of them were as significant at their time and place. I think the fact that I can remember extraordinary moments from over five decades ago is evidence of that. Reece Beekman’s play last night just added to my treasure trove, but I really hope I have yet to see him at his best. In the excitement of the moment, making such proclamations about it does a bit of disservice to all those who preceded him. And, I never got to watch Buzz play.

9 Likes
16 Likes

That highlight reel just shows how much Beeks was dealing last night. I couldn’t even enjoy it in the moment, but that was great!

6 Likes

He good.

3 Likes

With Bryant being a 3/4 when he was here, I wondered at the time if he was too much of a “tweener” to stick in the NBA.

The year he was a Sr I worked part-time as a hotel bellhop, and the morning after a game, drove a scout from either the Rockets or Mavericks to the airport. When I asked him, he said Stith was 100% an NBA 2, would get drafted in the 1st round, and have a 10+ year career. He was right.

He did also say he thought Cory (who was a FR) was our best NBA prospect at the time, and his favorite FR PG in the country that year.

4 Likes

I even like what he said after the last play …
“and 1 ref”

5 Likes

Man thats cool and not surprised on either. Bryant worked really hard on his 3 and ball handling into his last year to become an NBA 2 prospect

Cory was a pro from his HS senior year. Dam injuries hurt him big time but he still made it

3 Likes

That dunk was savage.

1 Like

I don’t think you were alone in that assessment. It’s worth remembering that Stith didn’t even attempt a 3 point shot his first year. However, after his game at Notre Dame in '91 (and that effort ranks high among the really great performances of Cavalier players), I think many of us began to suspect he had a chance! :smiley: I can’t remember exactly, but I imagine that @DFresh11 can remind us, how many points Stith scored to end the game, and I seem to recall he was the only one, from either side, that scored in the closing minutes.

2 Likes

He had 19 in like the last 3 minutes. I was on the court for all of them and it was beyond amazing. Never ever seen someone in more if a zone. It was like he was hypnotized

6 Likes

Stith 19 and Notre Dame 10 in the last 6:20 to go from down 57-49 to winning 68-67.
He hit 2 FT’s with 7 seconds left to win it.

Stith scored 11 points in the last 89 seconds.

7 Likes

Wow. I thought was last 3 minutes. Incredible win on ABC on the road. Noon game

2 Likes
10 Likes