Searching for late additions as '22 recruiting heats up (Blog)

17 Likes

Great article HGN, hope we end up serious competition for Wilson. He is exactly what UVA needs

1 Like

Maybe dumb question, but would getting somebody like Langston Wilson make it much less likely we land Bobi Klintmann or somebody in that role in the 2022 class? Or would there be enough space between them?

Wilson, no. But any late '21 addition or a freshman transfer changes things in '22 like that. It’s all a puzzle to be worked.

Edit: Getting someone like Wilson is sort of baked into the 2022 formula. Missing on that guy changes things a little.

2 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1383496962108923906

1 Like

If we’re putting odds on Nunez, how high? 70/30? Higher? Lower?

How are we so far along with Nunez? With McKneely they had seen him in person before the restrictions, right? Have they with Nunez?

Does the staff have any interest in Tyler Nickel?

1 Like

This is an interesting point as a 3 guard since he has the size. Then we could get a defensive oriented 3 or Bobi Klintman to come in after him.

Difference between Texas kids and the others is they played a lot of AAU ball last summer, high level shoe teams going at it. All streamed. That’s when Nunez earned his offer. Every head coach would love to get out and see them but you had to find a few you could feel good about laying chips on. Even McKneely, I don’t know if TB has ever seen him play live. It’s not like he was going to 15U games two summers ago. Only assistants do that. Just the reality of the dead period.

I don’t see UVA getting Tyler Nickel at this point, no. Things would have to change a lot anyway.

3 Likes

Is Justin Taylor basically what McKoy thinks he is?

1 Like

I’m not sure what McKoy thinks he is exactly, but yeah I suspect that’s about right. “Big guard”

7 Likes
3 Likes

Justin McKoy thinks he’s a Justin Taylor? I’m not saying either one is better but those guys games are not similar.

3 Likes

I read the story and the kid seems pretty jacked up about UNC. But one thing doesn’t line up. He seems to have laid the groundwork with several schools. Several visits lined up in June but comments a commitment probably doesn’t happen until December. Just looking from the outside, he appears to be trying to get to a decision much sooner than his comment. I could be completely wrong though.

If the timeline does hold, kinda hard to see UVa sticking much past the summer eval period.

1 Like

This Wilson kid is a very interesting story… seems like the right kind of Kid for TB…I just don’t get how much of a project he is… I see some good highlights of him that looks like he is dominating JUCO talent but it’s all offense… I have no sense of his footwork on D…he also looks like he skips leg day about as much as the next middle aged man… Curtis will have to work on his core no doubt or he will just get bullied by other ACC bigs… but he looks like he doesn’t play soft that’s for sure…

4 Likes

In an interview I saw, he fully intends to use all 3 years to develop. When Oates axed him, he also tried to say “hey do another year of JUCO and we’ll take you next year” but that would mean only two years left of d1 ball.

1 Like

Don’t think he’s a big. Looks like a 3

Yeah, his shooting stats are probably the most concerning. Around 30% from three I think and his free throw percentage is… not good. So have to be a little worried about where the ceiling might be there. But his athleticism is great and he seems really committed to getting better. Motor and will can do a lot.

3 Likes

Hmmm…he is 6’9”… doesn’t shoot too well… I don’t see him as a 3 in our system or Trey Murphy lite… but hey I wonder if he can shirt if he was eligible out of HS… and get 4 years to slow cook here

1 Like