State of the Trail Report

Thank you! It’s up on the @HoozGotNext instagram and twitter- same username on both so be sure to look for that!

3 Likes

Outstanding! It’d be great as a poster in the LRA shop.

2 Likes

@merch let’s start selling posters! Great idea from @mgzh

1 Like

Beautiful! Going to repost it!

1 Like

Imagine this: all four of those guys – Trevor Keels, Efton Reid, DaRon Holmes, and Caleb Furst – commit to Virginia.

Just savor that for a second. It’s the longest of longshots, of course, but not entirely impossible. And imagine the thermonuclear impact it would trigger!

ESPN heads would explode. The Ferret would suddenly retire to spend more time with his grandkids, who would all instantly demand their parents send them away to boarding school. Huckleberry Hound would shuffle off into the sunset doing “aw shucks” car commercials. FBI wiretaps would reveal Nike executives dumbfounded that they didn’t pay for any of those kids. And Virginia Tech would bawl, “It’s not fair! They’re better than us at everything!”

5 Likes

I think my head would explode as well

3 Likes

Several interesting tibits from Corey Evans today:

• No mention of us in the dozen or so schools that have reached out to Kobe King. This is interesting b/c Corey also mentions he’s in line for immediate eligibility. Maybe we have and its just on the super down low. Also not on the list is Marquette, which also tells me this might not necessarily be Kobe’s wish list, just teams making calls.

• OSU not the run away leader for Seth Towns, he’s apparently open. Lets see if we get an after season visit

• We are apparently quietly monitoring 20’ Guard Brandon Murray from Baltimore whom the Hokies offered yesterday. Unranked at the moment

3 Likes

That would be awesome!

Not sure if I want Kobe King from a basketball perspective. Reportedly not a great defender or shooter at Wisky. Seems to go counter to what we are looking for

2 Likes

It’s so strange that a few people seem to want to make Kobe King a thing. Why would Virginia be interested in a guard who can’t shoot or defend? Yes, he averaged 10 points per game, but he shot 25% from three. He’s only 65% from the line. Does this sound like a Tony Bennett player?

And he’s a well-known defensive liability.

It makes zero sense.

4 Likes

Brandon Murray is the 2020 late rising guard I mentioned earlier. He’s taken off in a big way since then. Coach Bennett accidentally saw him play against DaRon Holmes in Myrtle Beach back in late December. They monitored after that. That said, I don’t really expect UVA to be a factor with him. He’s taking off and they’d rather wait and see what comes open in the late cycle.

2 Likes

Of the top targets we are looking at right now, I feel like Efton Reid and DaRon Holmes are the most likely to commit to UVA. I know that it would be an extra perk for these two to play together, and I dont know if they would have many other options for this.

1 Like

“Great idea!” - my UVA man cave.

“Dang, championships are expensive!” - my wallet

2 Likes

I just finished talking to Stevie Mitchell, will turn it into a blog post maybe tomorrow or Saturday. Nothing that noteworthy in terms of recruiting. He’s a great kid though. Very polite and thoughtful. Humble, truly appreciative of all the college coaches that have taken interest in him. That’s what came through the most.

4 Likes

I also have a good feeling about Reid and Holmes. Still feel pretty good about Keels but his offer list is scary. Watched some film of Stevie Mitchell the other day. I really like him and he is a good fit I believe

1 Like

I forgot. Show many scholarships do we have available for 2021?

We will NOT take Efton and Caleb tugether.

1 Like

Right now, there are four scholarships available in 2021.

Woldetensae, Hauser, and Huff will leave after 2020, and there is one open scholly in 2020. That’s the total of four.

However, because one of those scholarships is open in 2020, it could be used in 2020. If used for a 2020 recruit or transfer, that would eat one of the four (unless, of course, the 2020 scholarship is a one-year deal, like a grad transfer or a one-and-done).

So, yeah, probably four. Maybe three. Possibly more than four if there’s attrition. So… yeah.

4 Likes

Perfectly explained. Thanks!

You have it mixed up. Hauser, Tomas and Huff leave after 21. Their schollys have nothing tu do with 20.

1 Like