Supreme Court

This ruling is limited to educational benefits but the opinions show where at least two justices stand on the larger NCAA amateurism debate.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if the commentator is right on the broader point about how big of a deal this is for the NCAA, but the quoted paragraph is a nice tidy way of summing up whatā€™s wrong with how the NCAA is arguing for amateurism:

6 Likes

Historically, Stern has gone for the most alarmist, panicky takes possible.

But I donā€™t think heā€™s wrong here. Kavanaugh is telling the NCAA heā€™s ok with hitting them.

2 Likes

This seems like a reasonable thread from an attorney who is more of a subject matter expert: https://twitter.com/madsal15/status/1407015027916300292

3 Likes

https://www.si.com/college/2021/06/22/divided-ncaa-delays-nil-vote-chaos-imminent

3 Likes
2 Likes

NCAA will cave and try and control this ā€œforā€ the student athletes

3 Likes

They gonna screw it up

2 Likes

Game on for NIL. I donā€™t think anyone knows what the rules are, or if there really are any, but itā€™s on.

1 Like

Oh my. I hope weā€™re prepared. I mean I know weā€™re not Duke/UK prepared but we better have our ducks in a row.

3 Likes

Itā€™s like Calvin-ball except for tens of millions of dollars.

4 Likes

My take and it will be very wrong. Maybe 10 guys per year get paid real money from this in college basketball and everyone else tries hard to get something from it. Being said agree they should be paid somehow

3 Likes

Quotes from a few coaches up in New England this weekend. And Kyle Filipowski, a 2022 recruit Bennett went up there for. .

ā€œThereā€™s a sense of, ā€˜How the hell is this going to work?ā€™ā€ UConn coach Danny Hurley told Yahoo Sports. ā€œWhat exactly is going to happen? Am I going to drive by a car dealership seeing one of the players do a signing? What is going on here?ā€

1 Like

Think the NCAA is counting on chaos these first few months so they can point it out to Congress and say ā€˜this is why yā€™all need to pass a federal law.ā€™ In reality this has been coming for at least 5 years and there is no excuse for the NCAA not to have a plan in place.

3 Likes

The NCAA would like nothing more than to be regulated on this because it relieves them of so much responsibility. Same reason tech companies are so open to regulation on content right now

1 Like

Going to be a mess.

The guys getting the major money were probably not coming here anyway but think it will hurt us with some of those 30-50 range guys that can get some of that SEC booster money.

Who wants to take bets onā€¦.

• How long until our first Only Fans scandal?
  • What mostly white mid-majorā€™s team becomes the media/viral sensation due to their lovable, feel-good and quirky Youtube/Switch channel?
  • Which Hoo is the highest earner next year?
  • What previously unknown school in a major city becomes a juggernaut based on their NIL opportunities?
  • First suspension due to Cameo detrimental to the team?

Itā€™s a shame it didnā€™t start a month or two earlier. Probably cost Schoch a pretty penny.

3 Likes

Add to that ā€œWhich walk-on is the first one to monetize their bench celebration in a NFT?ā€

2 Likes

I hadnā€™t really been thinking about NIL from this perspective but I think this is a point worth considering: https://twitter.com/adavidhalejoint/status/1409948269086756865

Edit: Not getting the embed to work quite right but it is suggesting that athletes from non-football or basketball sports will benefit from NIL because their biggest earning potential related to sports is actually while they are in college, compared to sports with more lucrative pro scenes.

1 Like