Tony Bennett's Complete UVA Recruiting History Stats

This is some great info here. One question I have is what times are coaches allowed to have contact with recruits and when are they not? And maybe a little tougher question is why are contacts between a coach and recruit regulated?

2 Likes

Coaches can contact recruits any time by phone or social media DMs after June 15th following their soph year. No restrictions after that.

In person contact is heavily regulated. The NCAA calendar goes in and out of these periods. it’s pretty ridiculous honestly. Dead period=no in person contact. Quiet period=only on campus contact. Recruiting period=on campus in addition to the recruit’s school or home. Even during the live evaluation periods, coaches aren’t allowed to speak to the recruits. They’ll be in the same room texting. Good game, kid. Thanks coach!

3 Likes

Thanks, I knew some of the rules were ridiculous If everyone plays by the same rules its fair even if it is a little crazy

1 Like

I really enjoyed watching this video that did a great job of telling our history with Tony Bennett as our coach. Really puts our failures and success into perspective.

3 Likes

Also I wanted to point out from the video that we have definitely gone though some serious pain and disappointment, not just the UMBC loss. So dont get down when we struggle!

2 Likes

When are the “No Home Buying,” “No Jewelry” and “No Parent Job Offer” periods?

Asking for a friend in Durham.

Thanks.

6 Likes

How dare you mention the stuff we’re definitely doing? How dare you, sir? Have you no shame?

No one directly associated with Duke Basketball ™ has direct knowledge of direct payments to any current players. And, by the way, all UNC Basketball ™ players are held to the same exacting standards as the rest of the student body. And those Louisville strippers weren’t strippers – they were doctor-prescribed “comfort animals”. So there.

3 Likes

Best. Response. Ever.

3 Likes

Piggybacking on @Daniel_G’s analysis that kicked off this thread. I thought it would be interesting to visualize history of commitments within the recruiting cycle. This chart is a timeline for all of Bennett’s recruits. I hope it’s clear enough. Everyone enrolls Sept of “Arrival Year” on the right. “Arrival Year - 1” covers spring of high school junior year and fall of senior year. And so on. So for example Ty and Kyle committed in the fall of junior year, and Malcolm committed in the summer before senior year.

Make of it what you will. A couple of things stand out to me about the 2020 class. Don’t expect to get an immediate impact 2020 commit this spring - it will be trend breaking if we do. On the other hand, getting commits in the fall of junior year is rare but when it happens, watch out.

(chart deleted, fixed below)

4 Likes

This is awesome!!

1 Like

This is great. Warning, I might steal it. :laughing: Only correction I can find is that Shedrick committed on 8/20 not November. Was one of Bennett’s biggest recruiting wins all things considered.

https://stockrisers.com/2018/08/20/virginia-lands-2019-four-star-kadin-shedrick/

2 Likes

Thanks, fixed. Blame Rivals.

I’m happy if you steal this and find a good use for it. Really appreciate all you do.

3 Likes

Beautiful Work! So Diakite was a last second grab in the final month of his recruitment. Probably an interesting story since his commitment date is such an outlier.

Looks like the real action for class of 2021 is going to be late may/early june through beginning of October. Wondering if the trend is going to be pushed up earlier now to April/May since HGN said the recruiting period is shorter in July now.

1 Like

Diakite was a reclass. In terms of his recruitment calendar, move him up a year with the rest of the mob. He had really decided on UVA somewhere around May when his parents came over for visits. Held off on announcing until the reclass was finished. I remember he was prepared to announce on ESPN during Adidas Nations, and supposedly he called his father who told him not to do that. So he quietly tweeted it the next week.

Reminds me of this interview done there. Classic Mamadi.

haha Really enjoyed his interview…Hes definitely not camera shy and very willing to tell all the details. Entertaining.

One other question. How do these High school boys “Reclassify” and skip their final year of high school…Kind of surprised this is possible and legal…

Most of them aren’t really reclassifying. They’re just undoing an earlier reclassification back, like Carson McCorkle. And then there’s some who stay back a year before high school, sort of the hidden reclass. Johnny Juzang did, Carter Whitt. They always intend to move up into their original class too. Yeah it’s a complaint people have the kids who genuinely skip a year of HS. Can be done pretty easy these days with extra hours or a little summer school.

In Mamadi’s case, it wasn’t optional. I don’t understand all the details. Has to do with the different school structure in Guinea. It was determined that he started his high school years early and his 5 maximum years were up. Tacko Fall had the same issue when he first enrolled at UCF. The NCAA held him out a while. Anyway Mamadi had to graduate in 2015 and wasn’t eligible to compete that first year.

2 Likes

So you say most of them are undoing an earlier reclassification…Does that mean that they were a year behind with their education for their age, and they were granted a right to move up in grade? Still doesnt quite compute in my head properly.

And Efton Reid is deciding this week if he will reclassify or not. Do you know if he would be simply moving up to is original class because he stayed back a year before high school, or perhaps he would plan on taking extra credits and summer school to skip his final year?

1 Like

In most cases the kids who say they’re reclassifying back a year are really just planning to do a post-graduate year after high school. No actual change in educational schedule. It useful for some but if a kid is a high major recruit, he’s usually going to college in his original class. The reclass back rarely sticks. I hate the games with it, pretending kids are in a different class than they’re clearly being recruited. Glad Carson cleared it up early on.

I believe Efton is in his original class, 2021. And from what I hear, the decision to stay in '21 has already been made

2 Likes