Two new transfer targets

Agreed. He’s not going to score 20/game at UVA or take 8 3s a game.

CTB just went through 2 rough years, my gut tells me he knows what he’s looking for - I’ll trust him.

We’re not asking him to be Kyle Guy.

2 Likes

Sounds like what we expected to get with Casey.

I also kinda feel like, for all of our “We need a backcourt that can hit 3s and slashers who can create their own shot”, CTB looked at last season’s tape, thought about it long and hard, and decided what the team needed more than anything was tougher D. And Fleming looks like a good defender who happens to be able to do some of the other things the team needs.

5 Likes

But can he get his shot versus power five competition? That’s what makes me nervous with a lot of these transfers. They look great against comparable athletes but when you put them up against ACC caliber players, they look pretty mediocre to poor. I mean everyone and their mother wanted Seth Towns last year, and he was pretty inconsequential for OSU

1 Like

FWIW

4 Likes

Christian Keeling comes to mind for me as well -dude who put up numbers against weak competition but didn’t do much when he leveled up. Then there’s a guy like Carlik Jones who clearly was just fine.

1 Like

Yeah it’s just variable I guess. I would be very excited if he ended up coming here but I guess I just prefer Franklin when I know roughly what I’m gonna get

1 Like

Let me help you out here styles. We had a guy who couldn’t shoot but would shoot but he left. Because we started a guy out of position who couldn’t shoot and wouldn’t even pretend to try to shoot . So 30% ish seems ok to me if the guy will even attempt to shoot and also makes some shots.

Make sense? I’m not great at math.

1 Like

Friday updates on targets from competitors boards. Overall it’s been very quiet on most of our targets the last 24hrs, at least in public.

Franklin: iU feels better about their chances he stays than they did a few days ago. Illinois freaking out over losing Adam Miller but thinks they’re Kentucky and can get who ever they want. Think they’d be up there with us come decision time. They also think he’s likely to leave IU

Fleming: State board feels he’ll decide relatively soon, thought it was a race with Arkansas but then Arkansas got Tonney and we crashed the party. No mention of him on the Arkansas board.

Gardner: No new intel anywhere in the past day. He’s still doing lots of zooms. Miami and Arkansas yesterday, Pitt ND and Tennessee soon. Oakes has him the highest probability (7) of becoming a Hoo out of public targets.

Powell: Nothing anywhere about him. Strange, guess because he announced so early all the buzz has gone quiet. Interestingly, Oakes thinks we’re still in constant contact, gave him a 5

15 Likes

Thanks forest. You are the official opponent message board liaison in my book.

5 Likes

Thanks for this!

Would love to start hearing some smoke about us closing in on one of these guys. My realistic wish list in order of who I ideally want + who we have the best chance with:

Gardner
Franklin
Powell
Geronimo
Fleming
Gurley

1 Like

This is kind of fun. I might go:

Gardner
Gurley
Franklin
Fleming
Geronimo
Powell

UVA’s top choices right now fwiw are

Armaan Franklin…in deep
Jayden Gardner…top target by far
Noah Gurley…not as far along. That’s the type they want

Everybody else are either takes (Kessler Felder etc) but unlikely or guys they’re not quite ready to push for.

5 Likes

Me next

Gardner
Franklin
Fleming
Powell
Gurley
Groves
Geronimo

1 Like

Yeah, really want to see a “great day to be a wahoo” tweet

6 Likes

Franklin
Gardner
Powell
Gurley
Fleming
Groves
Geronimo

Franklin does it all and Gardner is a close 2nd. (Got some dawg in him)

1 Like

Is there anything out to indicate the staff may be involved with players who they don’t want the name/names out?

I still worry they prioritize Franklin over say Fleming and he goes elsewhere while we wait only for Franklin to go back to IU

2 Likes

We’re talking Tony Bennett. He’d disinvent the internet if he could. He doesn’t want anything out.

14 Likes