UNC at UVA game thread

Going to be a packed house at JPJ. Ready for it.

Drinking game tonight for those not limited by the JPJ wristbands:

• Someone says “Carolina Refs”: Take a sip

• Papi face mauls: Finish your beer

Thar’s it. That’s the game. You will all be calling out tomorrow.

5 Likes

The dreaded. “Damn Carolina refs, they always call that Papi face maul.”

2 Likes

No takers for the tickets? Just confirming…

2 Likes

Missing an “Armando Bacot delivers a haymaker to Kadin”

3 Likes

“… and they call it a foul on Kadin”

4 Likes

Am in for this one

1 Like

Lets go!!

1 Like

I think we will see lots of doubles. They haven’t show that they have the level of the 3pt shooting this year that they had last year. They are a pretty low assist rate team in general, so I think you test their ability to beat the double with ball movement.

3 Likes

I’m a contrarian, but I think I might just stay home and let Shed and then Papi try one-on-one. Isn’t Bacot a decent passer? Especially if they’re going 4 guards, unless you can leak off Leaky…

Tangent: this is the moment that cemented my UNC hatred (softened in the interim…). Okulaja:

I think you have to mix it up. Double at times but not every time. Also, Kihei is great at taking shots and doubling from the guard position. We should do some of that to tonight

4 Likes

Too lazy to look. Have we ever had this many 9:00 games to start the season?

5 Likes

In his postgame interview Saturday, he said Hubert had prevailed on him recently to quit trying to make the home run pass out of doubles and to let the guy he passes to make the pass to the open shooter. He said that’s what he did against ND with strong results. So, if we do double him tonight, it will be interesting to see whether he sticks with the hockey assist strategy.

3 Likes

I agree on mix it up. I’m fine with Kihei taking an appropriate shot, but he’s made a few bad gambles recently, too (vague memory of him helping when him leaving his own guy was the bigger risk on a couple occasions recently). I think I’m motivated by thinking that we can survive a big Bacot day, but I don’t like our odds in a Love-Davis “get right” game

If Love-Davis get right right they are basically unbeatable. Not happening tonight though

4 Likes

They’ll be shooting over small guards all night long… kinda recipe for making shots … late closeouts will be a disaster - gotta stay up under them.

1 Like

Two things that would be good to see tonight.

1. Kadin bring back the shooting touch he showed in Vegas and vs Michigan. Not even the 3pt shot just the jumpers that Bacot would have to respect to make him work some

2. Traping the guards on the hedge. Put Davis and Love in difficult situations and don’t even givem the clear opportunities to give clean post feeds

It not like Love and Davis are giants compared to Beekman and Clark. And on top of that, UNC doesn’t exactly sizzle the nets from 3.

Should UVA focus on doubling the post tonight?

• Yes. Always better to get beat by the outside shot and living with UNC making the extra pass in order to prevent easy touches for Bacot and maybe force turnovers
  • No. Shutdown everyone else and if Bacot gets his, he gets his. He won’t score 60 on his own.

0 voters

I will choose “at times” for this

4 Likes

Said it before but we have lots of experienced players and I trust them to know when to go and when not to

1 Like