February 2023 - UVA Basketball

How are you feeling about UVA basketball right now?

• Through the roof
  • Great
  • Good
  • Okay
  • Meh

0 voters

Do you think the small ball line up will be really good, as the main lineup, vs other top 25 teams

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Will UVA win the ACC regular season?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Does UVA drop a game in the next 3 games?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

How are you doing (both mentally and emotionally)?

• 10 out of 10
  • 7 to 9 out of 10
  • 5 to 7 out of 10
  • Ask me again next month (also whoever needs to hear this its okay to not feel okay/dont force yourself to feel a way you just arent ready to feel at this time)

0 voters

7 Likes

ā€˜preciate you @Hooandtrue

3 Likes

Regarding the UVA related questions, I feel great about the team. Through the roof wouldā€™ve required 19-1 or 20-0, but I really like where weā€™re at and this season has definitely surpassed my expectations so far.

Voted no on the small ball question because I think weā€™d only be good to solid, not really good. Against legitimate top 25 caliber teams weā€™re gonna need Shedsā€™s rim protection in order to have large, sustained amounts of success IMO. Might even need Papi at some points, as far fetched as that may sound to some.

I think we finish the year at 15-5 in the ACC and either tie for first or win the conference outright by one game. Clemson at home will likely be the decider and I think we win that.

I do believe thereā€™s a decent chance we drop 1/3 upcoming, probably one of the next two. VT will throw everything they have at us in the barn and NCST will be really tricky for us to guard. Dook is always tough but I think we actually match up with them pretty well.

5 Likes

If we win the ACC regular season this year would it be our 6th in 9 yrs ? There have been so many im losing count.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Crazy ā€¦ UNC has as many as everyone else combined not named Duke.

I feel great about the team, but if we win all 3 of these next 3 games (I voted we wonā€™t), then I might upgrade to through the roof. Weā€™d be 20-3, 12-2, a 10-game win streak, firmly in control of the regular season ACC championship, and weā€™d have just beaten Dukeā€¦ Yeah Iā€™d definitely feel through the roof.

9 Likes

If we can get the Jayden/BVP lineup to defend well or Dunn/Shedrick to contribute more than marginally offensively, Iā€™ll feel great. Otherwise we donā€™t really have lineups built to consistently beat tourney teams. And what are the likelihoods of those things happening?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen enough of Shedrick over three years to know that heā€™s not going to be the answer.

At some point he had the mismatch down low against ā€˜Cuse (maybe Taylor? But could swear someone even smaller) and was helpless.

Think this team is like the Saints Super Bowl run. Bend but donā€™t break defense. Opportunistic turn overs. And score.

2 Likes

I mean the back to back wins over Baylor and Illinois show we do have the lineups to consistently beat tournament teams. Many Tournament teams would also lose by more than 6 than 8 to Houston. Now if you are talking about competing with the teams one might face in the sweet 16 or elite 8 than sure. Weā€™ll see.

Dunn has another whole 2 months to see his game come to fruition a little more. Along with McKneely getting more comfortable as well. Im excited.

9 Likes

Weā€™ll see if he has a Mamadi 2019 emergence in him. Mamadi never really exploited mistmatches that year either.

Great questions @Hooandtrue

I feel great about the current team. In the thick of it controlling their own destiny for the ACC regular season title and ranked in the top 10 in the nation, really canā€™t ask for much more at this point of the season.

I do think the small ball line up will be ā€œreally goodā€ against top 25 teams. Not that it is some magic formula, but I think itā€™s pretty evident that Kadin is what he is, and while the Hoos need him, Akil, Gil, Huff he is not. That dog ainā€™t gonna hunt, and rather than force it, it makes more sense to go a different route.

I feel great about the Hoos chances of winning the ACC regular season title, and even the ACCT at this point, I donā€™t see any reason they canā€™t do both. I do think they drop one of their next 3 games (I donā€™t even know who they are) just going by the odds, a 10/11 game winning streak is hard to pull off.

Mentally Iā€™d say Iā€™m in the 5-7 range, lots of stress with the young family, building a house, work etc. But Iā€™ve seen life in that sub 5 range and it looks far worst than this so Iā€™m thankful for what I have and the opportunity to learn and grow and share with all you knuckleheads.

14 Likes

Science has found a way to fuse together Akil and Atkins. Ainā€™t no one gonna score on him.

6 Likes

Heā€™s unf$ckwithable.

3 Likes
12 Likes

Itā€™s always great whenever a known name in the sports world gets to become a fan when approached by one of their idols. Happy for Jalen.

8 Likes

So THAT was the price tag! :joy:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve see enough to know that uva can play different ways to win. I think outside of maybe Purdue( and I highly doubt going all the way with a 7ā€™4 player as your main player) youre seeing teams that are imperfect and working through a number of things. I think there is a relativity good chance of making it to the sweet 16 but a high degree of variance after that.

6 Likes

Would love to see more of the BVP/Dunn pairing and Shedrick/Gardner pairing the cuts from the corner writer suggested a week or two ago

1 Like