February 2023 - UVA Basketball

JA also was not the liability Dunn currently is on offense.

That’s also a massive improvement and how many players have we been waiting for the same jump and never saw it, despite them making moderate improvement over time.

1 Like

I don’t know anyone who tracks it, but it takes just a few minutes to check. I went up through #68 in the 247 composite rankings.

Here are the guys who have not played or are currently not playing**, and the reason:

• #37 - Collin Chandler - Mormon mission
  • #41 - Freddie Dilione - reclass / prep year
  • #42 - Dior Johnson - pleaded guilty to strangulation
  • #45 - Isaiah Miranda (NC St) - joined at semester break; nagging injuries, possible redshirt
  • #46 - London Johnson - funny story
  • #64 - Isaac Traudt - voluntary redshirt
  • #68 - Leon Bond - voluntary redshirt

** Chance Westry at Auburn is currently not playing, but did play prior to a season-ending injury

So in the top 75 this year, there are two voluntary redshirts, one redshirt (Miranda) that joined at semester break and has nagging injuries, and one likely medical redshirt. I think it’s fair to say that we are an extreme outlier.

14 Likes

That info is Wow

Edit. I did find it interesting that the 4-5 acc guys ranked around Traudt and Bond have played but have had little impact. I guess Chris Bell has had the most and then you have to go to around 50 to Judah Mintz.

Ok, back to Dunn, he’s here 3 years. He’s got no offensive game. Suspect he’ll be much improved in that area next season but his shot and handle are a two more year project.

5 Likes

His shot form needs a lot of improvement. Watching him in warmups … not repeatable enough yet.

1 Like

same

5 Likes

That’s what I was figuring.

2 Likes

I was figuring that too (among top 100s anyway) but I didn’t actually know until Haney did the homework. Interesting. (And the other reasons… really run a wide gamut)

I went through the rest of the top 100 – I found one other voluntary redshirt: Rowan Brumbaugh from Texas via Northfield Mount Hermon.

As @Foresthoo points out, as you get further into the top 100 list (I used KenPom to see minutes) it was fairly common for guys to get only mop-up minutes. Though even at the end of the list, you see big contributors on good teams (the Loyer kid being a prime example).

3 Likes

If Tony was holding guys out because there was a rule that said they had to be held out, I’d have less of a problem with it.

5 Likes

Just appreciate the irony and timing hometeam

2 Likes

I am convinced that Bond and Traudt both would have eventually carved out big roles on this year’s team

7 Likes

Disagree on Bond huge agree on Traudt

2 Likes

Exactly- based on the idea that talent *usually rises to the top. In addition- it’s human nature for people to take some time off of a job (vacation) so in that case it would be good to have enough options to step up.

3 Likes

Bond, would be another 6’5 defender, who couldn’t possibly shoot worse than Dunn and may shoot better and deliver the same hustle. (I’m actually not really saying that Dunn can’t shoot either- except for his form is off but he’s still at 30%)

2 Likes

Just some incredibly strange stats for your consideration - free throw shooting percentages:

BVP 2022: 71.6%
BVP 2023: 50.0%

Gardner 2022: 79.3%
Gardner 2023: 67.0%

… what is happening with these guys?

3 Likes

Taking uninformed guesses,

Jayden changed up his FT form to start the year for some reason and it lead him to miss short a bunch. His form now looks more like it did last season and his % has gradually gone up the past few games, don’t have the exact numbers but I believe it was at 60% around the middle of ACC play.

BVP’s case is either the shooting slump from deep mentally carrying over to his FT’s, or his back injury is still bothering him. Or maybe a bit of both.

5 Likes

Gardner - 15/17 last 7 games. 88%

3 Likes

20 posts were split to a new topic: UVA Basketball March Thread