UVa Players NBA Draft Chat

Interesting comparison almost feels too obvious to be true. I don’t remember the nitty gritty of Joe’s time at UVa only the high points. And form that point, I feel like he’s a slight bit ahead of Sam, in his ability to take over a game and go get his own shot which he did in college. I do think that Sam has a solid base to build on for the NBA, but like Joe he is going to have to find the right situation and like Joe he is going to have to evolve his game.

3 Likes

To add somewhat Joe seemed to be able to freelance more in college. Maybe because he spent four years there and was no longer a new comer 3rd and 4th year. Maybe Sam having only 1 year as a game player made him try to fit into the system more (which is fine) whereas if he had played 2-3 years at UVa he would have said F it and go get his.

3 Likes

Yeah, Joe had leadership intangibles and some better passing numbers (averaged 3.2 assist/game his Sr. year). He graded pretty close otherwise to Hauser. May have also been seen less as a tweener positionally as well. He shot 64% from 3pt at the combine which also didn’t hurt.

It’s a crapshoot. Think there’s a world where Joe also could have gone undrafted. It comes down to draft class, team need and having a scout in your corner when you’re outside that top 35.

1 Like

I’d argue once you get to the back half of the 2nd round logic is out the door. The picks are reliant on team available prospects cap room and potential trades as they are actual talent.

1 Like

This is all vry tru, but add in that mobility is significant defensively. Joe doesn’t get toasted on d and can guard on the perimeter while Sam never really proved that at UVA. Not saying he won’t but there’s a reason he played the vast majority of his minutes as the pf this yr

3 Likes

So hopefully Joe’s agent and team can take on and put in a good word for Sam and Jay…and as a matter of fact Kyle as well to get him an opportunity somewhere else. Maybe San Antonio or Boston.

1 Like

yea that’s a good add - I failed to mentioned the other side.

We’ve seen Joe having to guard the 4 in some small ball lineups this season, and being able to move well certainly give his team more comfort and flexibility defending the pick n rolls.

2 Likes

He’s nowhere near the shooter Dunc is . . .

He’s a better shooter than Robinson was coming out of college.

4 Likes

He obviously hasn’t shown it in the League yet, but neither had Duncan until given a chance…

Being the next Duncan Robinson is a very narrow space to occupy. It’s absolutely duable but i wouldn’t like my odds if that’s what I was betting on. My being if you’re a role it’s better to have more than 1 specialty if you want to stick

2 Likes

I agree completely, but if you’re Sam isn’t shooting the 1 elite skill that you have…outside of 10-25 players everyone needs to play a role on a “good” team…Sam could obviously make a pile of $$$$ overseas regardless…

3 Likes

ima just get ahead of it and say this doesn’t mean anything lol. just trey saying he doesn’t care what katz says about him

8 Likes

What did he say?

Not totally sure, but on June 2 Katz published a list of 10 key players who have to make a decision on whether to stay in college or enter the draft. Murphy is not included in that list. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2021-06-02/10-players-who-have-nba-draft-decision-make-ranked-andy-katz

1 Like

Just checked and Murphy definitely was responding to @brogdonfanpage listing those 10 players on Twitter.

BTW, @brogdonfanpage has his high school graduation Thursday evening. Next stop: University of Virginia . . . where else but the best!

9 Likes

I don’t blame him. He should be at the top of that list. His decision has a huge impact on what kind of team we will be

That feels excessive. I mean everyone thinks he’s great, but with the talent on the roster he won’t crack the starting 5. It’s more that how active he is he is will definitely impact how people think and read about the team.

We’re talking about @brogdonfanpage , right?

4 Likes

Idk I think we’re a sneaky title contender with @brogdonfanpage starting at the three

6 Likes

Was this expected?

4 Likes