UVA vs JMU discussion board

Diakite is on fire today, noice

1 Like

When Kody gets a couple of 3’s to go watch out. Showed a little dog mentality out there. We need more of that.

3 Likes

One thing about Kody, he’ll keep shooting. lol No lack of confidence in his shot. I’ve seen Casey go through a spell like this before, at Peach Jam actually. He lost playing time and just seemed tight all week. Still found ways to contribute to winning a championship though.

4 Likes

I feel like my original prediction won’t be too far off, I believe we’ll sounding take control in this half

2 Likes

Starting off good in the half

1 Like

I like attacking the zone with Kihei and Key at the wings looking to get into the middle, while keeping the bigs on the baseline for dumpoffs. Flashing the bigs to the FT line worked OK, but it makes sense to get your best playmakers into the middle of zone.

Also, Kody with a little sauce and bounce on that fastbreak finish in the first half, huh?

4 Likes

Clark played the first 69 minutes of the season. That was his first break. Morsell with PG duties.

2 Likes

Good call. First walk-on to hit the floor. Looks good.

4 Likes

34 twice. wow

5 Likes

GRANT SCORED, YESSSSSS

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

The raw numbers on offense were better, but adjusting for opponent, the offense was at a similar level as the first game. 4-for-25 from 3 isn’t going to deter being zoned much in the future. The defense was again excellent, no qualms there.

It was nice to start to see some man-to-man offense. I saw 3 different looks:

1. Blocker-Mover: Seems like when it was run, it ended up in post-ups more often than not.
  2. Continuity Ball Screen: Started the game in this look, which led to a Morsell drive attempt. Mamadi got his 3 out of this too. They ran some different options out of this too for post-ups.
  3. Spread ball screens: They had maybe two possessions of this, where Kihei looked to attack off a high ball screen into a spread-out floor.

The tempo was high by the team’s standards; 69 possessions, which would have been one of the fastest games of all of last season for Virginia. I thought that they were running their man-to-man offense at a pretty good pace of ball and player movement. Without the proven late-clock options that they had last season, it makes sense to try to stay out late-clock situations all together.

5 Likes

Oh and one more thing: In the post-game presser, Mamadi said he is trying to model his game on Pascal Siakam. I love that, Siakam’s game is a great aspirational template for Mamadi; attacking on face-up drives, hitting spot-up threes, relentless defense.

5 Likes

I missed that comment in his post game but that is a great measuring stick for him. If Mamadi can get his game to a Siakam level/style he will be a nightmare to handle in the ACC and put a ton of pressure on opposing bigs to keep up with him and stay out of foul trouble

3 Likes
4 Likes

The three point line is now 14 percent farther than he was used to. Not many talking about how hard it will be for freshmen this year as they have to do a double adjustment (the old college three point line and now the new one). Big difference that the other freshmen in years past didn’t have to adjust to.

3 Likes