UVA vs MSU Thread: The Hauser Bowl

It could be contract tracing and waiting for test results. Could even have been a positive but then they usually do a second test the next day to confirm. Either way, can’t have MSU travel here since they won’t know anything else until atleast tmrw afternoon.

3 Likes

I’d guess they are just reacting to the ESPN report by confirming the MSU cancellation and not putting anything else out until they have more info.

2 Likes

Think they already have

3 Likes

And the Hauser parents are probably in the car or have already made the 15 hour, or whatever it is, drive… Sucks.

4 Likes

Yeah, several reports on Twitter that MSU is already in Charlottesville.

1 Like

Ugh yeah that makes sense. I wonder if we could reschedule if we’d travel to them out of courtesy? I doubt the game ever happens since conference play starts soon and that’s gonna be a scheduling mess anyways.

2 Likes

Does this also mean that we can’t practice? This could really hurt us if we lose 10 days of practice when we still have lots of things to iron out.

1 Like

As I understand it, typically teams cease all basketball activities. Depending on the type of exposure, players and coaches quarantine.

3 Likes

Wow…When I was :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: watching UVa lose to San Fransisco on November 27, there were several times during the game that I thought to myself, “Boy. Virginia’s players look so sluggish. How could they be tired already? It almost looks like :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: COVID-19 HAS INFECTED MOST OF OUR TEAM(?)”

Now, I’m sure that COVID-19 was affecting one or more of our players, and they just didn’t know it then (hopefully).

Some late night musings:
Rarely have I ever had this thought, but I think Rick Pitino was/is right. As it continues to get colder around the country, case counts will continue to break records due to more people being inside. For college basketball, this is going to mean that many games are going to get canceled, often in the way that we saw tonight (at the last second). I think there could be real benefit to pausing the season and letting these kids go home. By early February we could have 30 million people vaccinated and parts of the country experiencing warmer, more outdoor friendly weather. By the time May rolls around we might even be able to have a good amount of fans at games.

Pushing the season back won’t fix everything, but I think it would be an improvement, and I’m not sure that the current dynamic is sustainable.

1 Like

Heading into Monday 79% of games had been played. As long as that number is above 70% no reason to even have a conversation about postponement imo going to just run into the same issues with less time to make up games

1 Like

sadness

2 Likes

Dude, just come to my office and kick me in the nuts

Great piece BTW, hope we still get use it sans the date/time

1 Like

Hope that all in our program are doing well health-wise. The combo of incubation period + asymptomatic spread is just a monster from a health perspective.

2 Likes