UVA vs North Carolina discussion board

If anyone here has access to JPJ and would be willing to disable and/or destroy the stupid skycam, I’d be more than willing to post your bail.

Many thanks.

6 Likes

I could not find the game on youtubetv…had to use espn app and above the rim cam…so im thankful for skycam

Oh man, you need to make friends with someone who has cable or move back to C-ville

2 Likes

ACCN is hit or miss…

ACCN mislabeled the game on the guide.

Who sets the guides? Found it fine on Sling.

1 Like

We are the defending National Champions. the game should be on regular way TV

5 Likes

My first game of the year. Few things more satisfying than beating Carolina. Never gets old.

Caffaro and McKoy gave us huge lifts obviously. I thought the real story was Tomas though. You had to know eventually he would hit some shots, that’s what he does. But I think whatever Tony’s message was got across. He seemed to play with a more consistent effort, was in good defensive position, just all the little things he wasn’t doing in the last few games that him falling out favor. Hopefully both that effort and the shot making is the start of a trend, not an outlier.

10 Likes

Tossing in my final thoughts. Had to watch the first half of the game on my phone at the airport and then watched the game as a whole when I got home later, so I saw the first half a couple times and I noticed a few things.

The first I have to agree with @HoozGotNext with all due respect to McKoy and Caffaro who I’ll get to, Tomas may have been the biggest surprise of the game to me. After lack luster shooting all season and seeming energy/buy in issues during the Purdue game, I was shocked to see him rip away a steal in the paint in the first half on Sunday. Finding his stroke from deep was great, but I was most impressed by his activity on the defensive end. Absolutely amazing to see, and you have to think whatever the coaches said to him throughout the week is beginning to settle in. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

Speaking of effort, McKoy makes me smile the same way that Key did last year. The effort and work he’s putting in on the glass and on defense is great. That energy is infectiousness and it’s the sort of effort that teams who struggle on offense can build on. Loved his activity on the offensive glass and getting himself to the line.

Caffaro looked like a Jack Salt/Jay Huff combo. Effort all over the place and he showed some touch around the rim with a few nice post moves. Again he was getting to the rack and getting to the line. I love bigs who push the issue down low and get themselves to the line. Can’t wait to see his progression.

Diakite still feels like he is adjusting to his new role. The foul trouble hampered what I think may have been a big game. I really want to see him put together a full game. Both games this week he was effectively sidelined for the second half.

There’s a ton of other solo efforts I could call out, Colman diving to the deck to make a save and an eventual Tomas 3 was huge, see my above remark about infectious effort plays.

The biggest takeaway for me was this was a statement game. I imagine the coaches challenged the team when they returned from West Lafayette to step up the mental toughness and recommit to UVa basketball, and a very young team answered the call. That is absolutely huge, these are the sort of things teams can hang their hat on and build on.

Finally I’ll never complain about being 2-0 in the league, Always Always Always love a win over UNC, and a top 10 win will pay dividends as the committee gathers in March.

4 Likes

I said this at the outset of the season and have seen it so far this early season. PG play is going to continue to be huge. We need 2 more guys to really step up and take the pressure of ball handling duties away from Kehei in a very real way. Semi casually observing feels like this team commits more shot clock violations than teams
in the past. For me the guards need to get us going on offense a little quicker. Whereas Ty Jerome or Malcom or London could calmly walk the ball up and have no problem creating with 7 seconds left on shot clock so far this group looks a tad lost in that situation.

Very happy to see the toughness yesterday overall and new real contributions by different guys.

4 Likes

I was really glad to see that shot falling. Hopefully he gets in a groove now
He was also active on defense. Quick hands knocking the ball loose several times

2 Likes

What a great game and what a team. What’s not to love about this year? Playing with natty champ house money, we’ve got some very, very talented young guys growing into roles, and it STILL looks like we could go the distance in March if a few things break our way.

As for yesterday, who else feels like the second half was the first time this year everyone was finally just playing the game and not overthinking everything? We’ve seen TB yell “just play basketball” a bunch of times so far - the kids are just growing out of the decision paralysis that comes with learning a new offensive system and the team establishing a completely re-designed 7-8 man rotation. Maybe kicking the ball out of bounds on an uncontested, breakaway layup was exactly the catharsis the boys needed to relax a bit.

Game notes:
The Woldo/Papi pick and pop action in the short corner yielded a handful of really, really good looks in the second half. Enough has been said about these two as MVPs yesterday but tactically that was a nice adjustment.

MD god love him. A tale of two halves - he caught up to the double/triple teams coming his way after the break and started to make a big difference getting the ball out of his hands quicker and moving off ball to find soft spots. That he still scored 12 points with how UNC schemed for him speaks volumes about his talent. Would be great to see him own his emotions a bit more as he seems to get visibly irritated when calls don’t go his way. Sorry bub but you’re a preseason 1st Teamer and they’re all gunning for you.

Stats still weren’t all that pretty, but Kody looked like a different guy today on the ball - much more fluid and confident. Could be getting over the sickness and I hope a little bit of a “screw you” to everyone (yours truly, included) who have questioned his game on offense.

We are much better when Kihei gets to the hoop vs. playing QB from outside. Yes, he can struggle to get a good shot off when he gets too far into the trees (would love to see him work in a floater more often), but he’s a 90% FT shooter and hard-earned trips to the stripe add up at the end of games (knowing that a handful of yesterday’s FT’s were off 3-pt shots). Goes without saying that life gets easier for everyone else when he sucks up 3-4 paint defenders, as well.

McCoy looks like Key 2.0. What a stroke of recruiting genius by TB and co. PSU cannot be happy watching him grow so quickly.

Would love to see what Angry Jay Huff looks like. Coleman deserves a scholarship. Casey will be a lottery pick.

Wahoowa

7 Likes

Bennett gave a Braxton update on Coach’s Corner. He said the stitches were removed today, and Braxton will be in a new smaller cast like Kihei last year. Sounded hopeful that a return to action is near.

5 Likes

No rush… until January ha

1 Like

Yup let him get some limited mins against Stony Brook or SC to get his legs under him but take advantage of the winter break.

1 Like