UVA vs Providence game thread

So if Murphy, Franklin & Gardner were all on this year’s roster, which would be the 6th man so we could still play Kihei & Reece together? :wink:

2 Likes

So yes - having Murphy would also allow more freedom for the M’s to play minutes because Murphy would have the length and packline experience in hand.

This whole convo is weirdly negative for the day after a pretty nice win. I mean, I get it - I am one of the foremost folks who likes to offer their own opinions of coaching decisions and recruiting because that’s what makes board convos fun - but there were some real major positives to take away from yesterday too. It was a big win and pretty fun too. Not policing what folks should say - say whatever you want. Just feels like maybe the general vibe could be a little more positive, haha.

7 Likes

Ah, gotcha but I’m not sure would have impacted Franklin. The impact I see is it may have caused the staff to hold off on Milicic.

In the grand scheme, none of it matters. Seems once Murphy got favorable feedback from the NBA, he was gone. And I don’t blame him, go get paid when the opportunity rises.

1 Like

Great defensive game - bad offensive game. I guess the question is how we do in the ACC with this kind of performance as a team?

ORtg: 100.8 (201st of 358)

DRtg: 90.7 (104th of 358)

2020 recruiting class was pre covid. Last guy committed July or August 2019. Also would consider Murphy a forward who played the 3 rather than a guard. Similar to what we did with Braxton the year before but Braxton still had a better handle.

I’m getting at our on paper recruiting has been great lately but the actual players (specifically guards) haven’t planned out. So Tony didn’t ‘fix’ anything with the 2022 class because he was already recruiting well on paper before this class. It’s about guys actually working out. Which we won’t know until they get to Grounds.

Hey - I agree. Go through my post history, I’ve frequently said we need to improve the offense. But it’s not going to happen overnight and I saw what I thought were some strides yesterday. We got Gardner better shots last night than we have almost all season. Franklin appears to be coming into his own. And it’s also worth celebrating that that was the first time all season the defense looked like a Virginia defense.

This team’s ceiling offensively is unknown and is probably determined by whether we can find a second reliable shooter outside of Franklin (and Kihei to an extent) and whether Reece can shoot at just a slightly below average level. I don’t know if that’ll play out, and I also hope that McCorkle or Taine can help. Just feels weird to have 85% of the comments the day after we beat a very good team by double digits be so negative.

3 Likes

For sure - Murphy had to go once he was guaranteed millions. Set up for life if he invests wisely.
2021/22 – $3,053,760 Guaranteed
2022/23 – $3,206,520 Guaranteed
2023/24 – $3,359,280 Guaranteed
2024/25 – $5,159,854 Team Option
2025/26 – $7,285,713 Qualifying offer

4 Likes

2020 was great on paper? Reece is our guard, in Tony’s mind he’s already panned out.

McCorkle is def a flyer, his ranking suggest exactly what he’s doing for this team… sitting on the bench.

JAR was a miss, but a lot of programs would have taken JAR and missed.

2 Likes

I really wonder - if Reece’s shooting doesn’t improve, and London Johnson comes here and excels defensively and can shoot well,… would he get playing time over Reece? It does seem that once a guy is in, he mostly stays in. Give props to Bennett for making the Salt to Diakite change in 2019.

2 Likes

Like GA, so far. Morsell-grade offense AND turn style D is a rough combo.

JAR on GA is actually an interesting thought exercise. How much of that production would we want to develop a player, is that what, say, Taine would do if we started him now.

I think it depends on matchups. London is a big guard tho… Tony does 3 guard line up.

Maybe something like… RB, IM, LJ, IT, KD

The big recruiting miss year for Tony was 2018.

1 Like

I know this is a crazy thought, but maybe we can wait for more than six games before pronouncing this season a failure.

1 Like

Basically the entire fan base was calling them the next big 3 and the class to lead us to the next Final Four. Carson was the next Kyle and was only underrated because he reclassed. Jabri was the next Dre. Reece the next Ty. Playing down their standing is only something that’s happened since they actually arrived on Grounds.

3 Likes

That’s why fan bases aren’t talent evaluators. JAR and Dre couldn’t be more different, even when they were being evaluated. Not sure who saw McCorkle and thought he was Kyle Guy…. Kyle Guy was a blue chipper and played in the McDonald’s AA game

Unless these were things CTB said about those recruits but I doubt that.

1 Like

Yea I got in several debates with people about that one. Vastly different prospects.

All I’m saying is I’m being cautious about how much I hope 2022 comes in and saves the offense. Traudt is the only one I’m counting on being ready right away. If the offense is going to get back humming along this year or next it’s going to come from guys (specifically guards) already playing college ball. Franklin the last two nights is a start.

3 Likes

Elaborate on “saves the offense”, lol. I guarantee CTB isn’t thinking the same way you’re thinking.

No matter what, RB (unless he transfers) will be here next year, maybe KC.

Just temper your expectations

3 Likes

One more thing… 2020 class and 2022 class
In terms of skill, aren’t really that close.

And 2022 class is top 10. 2020 class was top 20… that’s a big difference in basketball and football.

1 Like

Back to a top 50 in adjusted offensive efficient level we enjoyed from 13/14-18/19. Not expecting Gonzaga or anything.

And you are 100% correct TB doesn’t see this the way I do lol don’t need to go any further into that than Poindexter playing when our two scholarship PGs already can’t shoot.

1 Like