VIP February Chat 2021

The meat of the ACC Schedule is upon us. It’s make or break time this month. How will we do?

1 Like

Also… in my geeky E-School circles… whenever an e-mail thread would get out of control or stressful, someone would post a picture of a cat with a pancake on its head and everyone would calm down. Today seems an appropriate day for that… in UVa basketball circles.

1 Like

Nut I always wondered what the E school
chats looked like. Now we know. Woulda thought the go to more like “ok guys go solve for the quadratic equation” or some shit. But thats proly too easy

2 Likes

Hey @HoozGotNext Oakes just threw out a pretty big nugget that Sam may be open to returning next year. Have you heard anything? and what would your thoughts be in terms of the roster construction?

We’d be looking at Kiehi, either Reece or Casey, Trey, Sam and a transfer Big

2 Likes

@DFresh11 There was a class I took my 3rd year called Software Development Methods - CS216… I’m not sure it exists anymore since that was in 1999… where we were divided into groups of 4 and then paired with another group of 4. We then had to build specification/requirements documents for the other group, while they did the same for us. Our two software packages then had to be interoperable and run a remotely piloted robot through an obstacle course. If you thought E-school kids couldn’t get into fights, physical fights, take this class and it will show you how vicious and competitive it could get. I used to send out cat with pancakes on their head pictures all the time and at one point, the other group lead almost punched me for it. HAHA!

2 Likes

hahaha. incredible. yall were doing real stuff while we were trying to navigate the path of least resistance. Also that class sounds like the precursor to they way Bitcoin got started

2 Likes

Dude this post just makes me head explode with laughter… it’s kinda cool when passion and competitiveness amongst educated and level headed people can devolve into behavior associated with degenerate “mouth breathers”…

3 Likes

BTW… hoping for the best tonight… I’m watching this one through my eyelids as the start time is 3 AM here in Germany.

3 Likes

Wait, what?

Can you point me where JO says that?

And BTW, Shedrick will be starting next year with a transfer big/Caffaro backing him up.

In a thread entitled ‘basketball recruiting’ and if Hauser did return Shedrick probably would not be starting unless we completely whiff on a decent transfer. Who would you bench? Murphy? Not likely.

JO did indicate that there’s a chance that Sam could stay. Didn’t elaborate too much more into it.

2 Likes

I’m going to say that Shedrick is better than a graduate transfer trying to learn our system. In fact, I don’t see a big drop in average production between Huff and Shedrick, though Huff is obviously much more explosive. If Shedrick isn’t starting, it’ll only be because of health issues. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Well Damn…I can give you that Shedrick is better than a grad transfer learning our system…except why take one if you know that Shed is gonna be available full time next year…Also to say that there will not be a big drop in average production between Shed and Huff who is a double digit scorer in the ACC…well…I guess I gotta question what is meant by big drop…cause Shed has not shown to be a consistent scorer yet…sure I have seen some moves here and there that are like Wow…but I have seen him with some very underwhelming empty offensive possessions to…where he will help is being that rangy rim protector and get us back to hedging PNR actions as opposed to this drop coverage and switching which is not yielding the defense that we are used to…

2 Likes

No I don’t know anything about that. I’d be surprised if it happens. It would save them from needing to add a transfer up front. Still would be open to a center, just no longer a necessity.

@JumboHoo - You’re right. I guess I should have said “Next Year” Shedrick won’t be a big drop in average production from “This Year” Huff. I really had high expectations from Shedrick watching the earlier games as he was a good presence. But missing these games hasn’t been good. I have faith that JWilly will work wonders with him over the offseason and even later this season so he becomes a solid contributor.

2 Likes

I guess if Shedrick “next year” can approach what a 5th year Huff can do well…I would be floored…history has shown that that it takes quite some time for our bigs to develop and play continuously on both ends…I look at all the bigs that we say we miss and we are really focused on that one or 2 good years that we got from them…as upperclassmen…I hope you are right about Shed next year…but I see a guy that will have a game here or there or plays hear or there that make us say Wow…if he can put that together day to day watch out…

1 Like

Ok, so what makes you think a transfer will be a better option? Last talented big transfer I can recall ended up not getting the system so bad he had to resort to ripping bong hits to cope with the shame which violated a pillar or two and he hasn’t been heard from since.

I never said I thought a transfer would be a better option than what we have on the roster… unless they come from a program that uses the packline or something like it…

I do think we can sometimes exaggerate the necessary learning curve of being a big in the pack line. Next year shed will have what, half a season of being a 2nd/3rd string big? If there’s an athletic, experienced big on the transfer market who is already a decent defender then I’d take that type of guy over Kadin in a heart beat. A lot of the development aspect for bigs tends to be separate from learning the defense and more so individual defensive ability imo.

Mamadi struggled cuz he was too wild, Jay didn’t move his feet all that well and needed to bulk up a lil. Sure u gotta learn the d but the individual component is more important which is why a grad transfer is appealing imo.

7 Likes