Virginia-Navy Next Day Discussion

There was a video breakdown of how good Beekman is at avoiding and fighting through screens. Let me see if I can find it.

Fantastic write-up here. Examining the ACC's Second-Year Point Guards: Virginia's Reece Beekman, Turning Defense Into Offense - ACCSports.com

5 Likes

Ditto

I can tell you guys that getting through a screen, especially over one, is really really hard. Guys like Kihei or Reece that can do it are special. I remember either Rick Carlisle or Marc Ivaroni telling me the tricks to doing so

Imagine trying to get around Rodney Rodgers when his thigh is the size of your torso

Anyhow. I appreciate this aspect of the game that I was never very good at

8 Likes

Yeah sorry meant over

3 Likes

Nah I knew what you meant. conjunction junction shit. whats your function

4 Likes

TB pulling Kadin with those 3 fouls was very costly. Although Kadin didn’t score much the only time the offense actually did something was when Kadin and Jayden was in there together. Each time that one was pulled out (usually Kadin) the offense didn’t function. I think Kadin was enough of a threat to take some pressure of Jayden and the offense worked better. I noticed that the whole game

7 Likes

Agree 100%. Caffaro was giving us nothing offensively or defensively. I truly believe that lack of front court depth will be a harder weakness to overcome than our lack of outside shooting.

4 Likes

Keels, Efton Reid, Caleb Furst, Caleb Houstan and Jalen Warley all major contributors in their first game.

Even Longino getting double digit minutes in Nova’s blowout win.

Yep I don’t really want to go down the rabbit hole but keels aside, both Houstan and Reid started, scoring 11/16. Also Terrance Williams who I think we essentially passed on had 15 for Michigan as well. It’s just disheartening to see so many guys around college ball contributing that we could really use and either were really close to landing or passed on and yes I know why we passed on Reid. Play our young guys, it’s obvious we are gonna take a lot of limps this year, let’s take them while working for the future.

2 Likes

I just keep thinking how much we could have used McKoy

8 Likes

Going with the steady but unspectacular veteran (eg Nolte) makes sense when that guy is a top 100 talent who has shown the ability to knock down threes at volume and has a ton of experience doeing good things in the system. Going with the steady vets makes less sense to me when those guys are not (nearly) top 100 talents, don’t actually have that much experience, and are also making stupid errors at their advanced age. Basically, if we are not going to be competitive with Navy down the stretch, let’s be uncompetitive with Navy down the stretch with guys whose F-ups will pay off.

(Especially when one of those guys hasn’t even been practicing, so I don’t want to hear that he’s been proving it in practice, because that would be factually inaccurate) … let’s see who gets minutes v Radford. And Kody and Reece, now I’m speaking directly to you: please shoot. John Starks that sh**

Terrance Williams is a good example of us trying to find too perfect of a fit. Take good basketball players whenever you can.

3 Likes

Who did we take instead of Williams? Did we swing at a bigger fish and miss?

For me, McKoy is like solid middle relief. Great teams need solid middle relief. Tough to win a World Series without solid middle relief. But solid middle relief doesn’t do much to make a middling team better, IMO.

5 Likes

There are a couple of pretty big assumptions in there. I’m pretty sure CTB did not foresee the 13 consecutive possessions without a point so he, like most of us, probably thought that the offense that had been pretty effective up to that point would make a basket or two there rather than not being competitive down the stretch thus prompting him to play Carson, Taine and Igor. Second - substitute “will” for “may”.

We have a tendency to overvalue recruits, particularly foreign recruits. I think the track record for the foreign players says we shouldn’t expect much out of them - ever. Of course, I want to believe differently rather than eat the bread crumbs that JWill threw out. It’s clear that Taine and Igor, especially, have a loooooong way before they see the court for any significant minutes.

All in all, I’m not disagreeing so much as deciding that I’d prefer Ws over Ls - they make me happy.

3 Likes

I like that comparison, but I do think a McCoy could have been helpful on this team. Not saying he changes the tide completely and makes them a contender, but to use your example, he’s an innings eater. He could eat some mins off the bench and help a front court that virtually has no depth. If they wanted to get really crazy their could even be a small ball option with him and Jayden on the court together, or a supersized lineup with Kadin, McCoy and Jayden. Again, not sure any of those lineups are gamechangers, but McCoy could be a utility player and expanding the rotation to 8 would be a massive step.

5 Likes

But yeah, that’s the thing. Pick those tradeoffs and win, great! Pick those tradeoffs and lose? Then some idiot on the internet is going to point out that maybe staff F’ed up. Which is fine! It’s only one game and coaches are human beings. I screw up, too. Once or twice a year.

4 Likes

Yeah, this team would be better with McKoy. But some fundamental issues that we worried about popped up in game 1, and I don’t think he solves those fundamental issues.

JAR? I don’t recall passing on him and ending up with what would be considered an inferior talent at the time

One if you’re coaching at near any level you need to have a thick skin to know that taking advice from any board is a fast track to get you fired. Two, and I think this is important a lot of us are operating under the assumption that playing time = improvement. if Igor, Taine, whoever plays more they will get better and blossom into something. That’s partially true but not a direct correlation. The improvements are made in the gym in May and June not in JPJ in Jan. For as every player who lights it up and gains confidence there are 3 who get punked and lose all confidence. If playing time healed all wounds, then KC would be shooting 55% from deep right now and dropping 12 dimes.

5 Likes