Virginia Tennis Thread

bummer…there it is, need 4/6 in singles

Well USC is owning us today

2 Likes

Yeah… brutal first sets

Second sets very tight across the board. Managed to fight off match points at #2 and #3

1 Like

2-2 overall, but going to need comebacks on the final 3 courts…

Great season. :frowning:

1 Like

great season indeed, good to reestablish ourselves in the top tier of NCAA tennis. I think next year’s squad could be great but it’s still tbd. Tennis is weird - we have a 27 year old grad transfer coming from Wake, where he played #1. I believe he’s getting an MBA here but i could be off on the specific masters program.

also, for those who aren’t aware… F*** usc tennis. they were the team we couldn’t get over the hump with under boland (until of course, we did). we’re 1-7 vs them in the tourny all-time and lost to them in the finals in '11 and '12 (they won it 4 years in a row) before breaking through in '13 vs UCLA (of note, thesabre tennis board has some great insights and folks who really follow it, traditionally).

3 Likes

Emma Navarro just won the women’s singles NCAA championship! Only a first year too

12 Likes

Very awesome! I assume she’s going pro? It was kinda a coup for the program that she didn’t go pro straight out of HS.

2 Likes

My assumption is wrong, at least for one semester:

4 Likes