Virginia vs Northeastern, Sat, 16 Dec, 1800, ACCN

66 posts were split to a new topic: Best & Worst Cities

Obligatory:

https://x.com/hoopvision68/status/1073342394115022848?s=46&t=wAzMZR-0PRGT1LpN6U5x0g

And (from Ed Cooley when he was at Providence):

https://x.com/ericfawcett_/status/1504505228774699008?s=46&t=wAzMZR-0PRGT1LpN6U5x0g

1 Like

They’re kind of a fascinating school in terms of academic philosophy. Extremely pre-professional for business, not so much in a “everyone has to major in graphic design or real estate accounting” kind of way (real estate accounting is basically creative writing anyway) but more in a hands-on way.

The expectation is everyone picks their field fairly quickly and then the school helps everyone find internships in that field with local businesses, often during the school year. The closest analogy is probably to the co-op deals a lot of engineering programs have students do, just aimed at business students. I don’t think that’s the entire school, I think you can still major in History or Poli Sci if you really want to, its just not what the school is known for.

Its moved up substantially in the academic rankings in recent years and is pretty hard to get into now as sort of an academically rigorous, snooty ivory-tower approved, vocational program.

5 Likes

Are you saying I got into a sh%t school for grad school? D#mn UVa elitist

2 Likes

waiting on @DavetheWave to find a way to make me nervous about this game. he is elite at talking up our opposition.

4 Likes

Eh I only applied to grad school because my mom made me

2 Likes

They shoot 33.33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 from 3… the 3s go on forever! 3s for days @Jerome! Be afraid!

3 Likes

the sandlot GIF

4 Likes

3 Likes

When I worked at accounting firms, there were always a few Northeastern juniors and seniors doing a co-op internship or whatever for a year or semester. Always got a job offer after graduation. Seemed like a good way to make sure students had a job in hand by the time they graduated.

6 Likes

And people REALLY give Uva hell about our offense!!!

1 Like

BC under Skinner had some legit good offensive seasons, I’m not sure exactly how. I guess Flex puts you in good offensive rebounding position?

They recruited me out of high school along with Boston U. Bout all I know

2 Likes

Well shoot - last game I didn’t realize Central was gonna be without 3 starters and 6th man….
I still wish they had played so we got a better test

3 Likes

Northeastern-
90th on Offense
349th on Defense
217th SRS
318th in Pace (still 4.7 possessions more per game than UVA)
If you go 4.7 more possessions per game than Northeastern- you get all the way to 117th.
UVA is 361st in pace ahead of only Towson
Hoos are 10th in assist %
Northeastern is 165th
Northeastern is 87th in offensive rebounds %

I’m pretty sure Jimmy Shakes coached there before he got the UConn job. If I’m not mistaken, he coached Reggie Lewis there.

1 Like

No political discussion

If Kihei was here the teams undefeated

If Kadin is here they are 3-6

Traut they’d be 4-5

Bronco would have the mens hoops team on the CFP. Assuming the crime in the host cities wouldn’t be too bad.

11 Likes

Now that’s the kind of discussion I’m here for!

4 Likes

Northeastern had a great basketball culture/team in the 1980’s. They made the tourney 6 times during that time, and were coached by Jim Calhoun before the got the UConn job. They always had a lot of Boston area and DC players on the team, including their most decorated and best player ever - Reggie Lewis. The school is in downtown Boston close to Fenway Park. Old school arena that hosts their basketball and hockey games. Great pick up games there back in the day. Reggie was a legend and was always hosting games there with the local college players from the area. Great memories. Have not seen them play but will watch some games ahead of our matchup. They also have a lot of foreign born players on the team and a lot of international students at the school. Go ‘Hoos.

14 Likes

Forgot Havs might have a few opinions on Boston…

1 Like