When the Dead Period ends in June

In a typical year, the staff would be evaluating 2022 prospects in this coming summer’s events. This hasn’t been anything resembling a typical year. A couple of questions have occurred to me. Doing a rough search on VerbalCommits, it appears that there are over 700 players in the 2021 H.S. class who remain uncommitted. I have no idea how accurate that data might be, and surely the great majority of them wouldn’t be of any help to a P6 program. On the other hand, when I see just two stars next to a prospects name, one of the first questions I want to ask is, “Has this player been evaluated by anyone?” So, assuming that there is a significant number of prospects who haven’t been observed, in meaningful way, since the summer of 2019, how likely is it some of them will try to catch the eyes of college scouts by participating in this summer’s events? Surely, there are some who have either grown physically or improved their skills since they were last seen. Would the staff be open to considering them if they played in these games? It seems to me, that Coach Bennett has done well with late emerging talents, but these would be uncharted waters if such happens. I could well understand if they are focusing their attention of prospective 2022 players, and identifying 2023 prospects they want to follow. I’m just a bit curious. Any thoughts?

I would devote all efforts to 2022, 2021 ended with Igor. Heck I’d look at transfers with 4 years remaining before anyone in 2021. At this point none of those guys will help next year and will just take up playing time we can sell to 2022 kids.

First, I have no idea if any 2021 prospects would even be playing this summer. The answer to that question is one I would like to know. Second, I am not convinced the staff is finished with 2021. If Murphy stays in the draft, there are still three scholarships available. Depth might be nice. Lastly, I don’t know where the greater potential is to be found: emerging 2021 talent or a transfer. Basically, there’s a lot I don’t know about this summer’s recruiting strategies.

1 Like

Sorry I missed your post earlier. Yeah 2 stars just means he’s not “evaluated” on Rivals 247 etc. They don’t bother for the most part until they’re considered high major recruits.

Some unsigned seniors do play Spring AAU ball, meaning the events that have occurred in April. You’ll have a few that plan to go the prep route but then get noticed this summer and enroll in college for 2021.

It’s very doubtful UVA would bring in another 2021 recruit. It would have to be someone proven to be really good, likely committed somewhere else right now.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. With things being so out of the ordinary for the 2021 recruiting cycle, I have just assumed that recruiters everywhere are sort of making things up as they go to adjust to a changing landscape. And, for folks like me, that just adds another layer of the unknown to a process that is sometimes far from transparent. Again, thanks!

32 years later can Fresh get his stars from @HoozGotNext asking for my moms

9 Likes

So all these former players have AAU teams named after them. There’s a Kyle Guy Elite this year in Indiana. When @DFresh11 gets a team, what’s it called?

3 Likes

Fresh to Death? help me here squad

3 Likes

We Be Fresh Elite
Don’t Give a Fresh Select
D Fresh Ballers

4 Likes
  1. Fresh Ballers I like. when I came up the names were Memphis Y simple. Me and Shawn Wilson played for the Music City Stars Also Amos Gregory on that team.

Forgot the Chattanooga team that had Orlando Lightfoot and Malcolm Mackey. But they were not called the Choo Choos

3 Likes

The Ballers are arriving in an Escalade. That we know.

3 Likes

The Air Fresheners

5 Likes

Fresh As F

4 Likes

So Fresh, So Clean

3 Likes

Fresh Princes

4 Likes

Dam now I gotta start an AAU program. I wanna be sponsored by either Pony or British Knights for the record have to differentiate

6 Likes

I had the Velcro pony’s growing up near Chicago because Walter Payton sponsored them. They also had a zipper for a quarter for your milk money, they were awesome.

And those socks with the two stripes.

1 Like

First pair of real leather hoop shoes I had no velcro though. just awesome

2 Likes

Ahh I’d be-all innon supporting a team rocking BKs

3 Likes

Fresh Air has Nike written all over it! Just sayin’…

5 Likes