Winter Recruiting Thread

Did we know Dunn is, well, Dunn? My impression from what little I saw in clips and descriptions was that he was around 6’7", a better shooter than Bond but with a little above average athleticism and needed strength.

What he is is a young Godzilla.

But I agree, we need athletes and shooters and someone who can run the show. That should be our recruiting strategy.

5 Likes

I also want 5 NBA players on the floor for UVA. lol

21 Likes

Nova back under .500 with the loss today.

Not sure we’re actually going to benefit much if they lose their recruiting shine (BIG NIL programs, closer/more urban Big East schools, etc.), but it’s certainly worth a shot.

4 Likes

Hahah. Got me

1 Like

The biggest wrench to UVA’s earl 2024 recruiting efforts is going to be the Georgetown Hire. That could be a big hire. That and if Wisconsin goes for a coaching change.

5 Likes

I think there would be even more severe challenges if I said I wanted 6 or 7 nba players on the floor for uva

1 Like

Is it weird that Georgetown doesn’t worry me much at all yet? I know they could get a hot new coach, but they haven’t been relevant for a decade, their facilities and home playing environment aren’t impressive (I know it’s a pro arena, but it’s empty and sad), and nobody in high school now cares about the 80s.

I also am going to guess it’s more likely than not that a new coach will focus too much on trying to lock up local talent in the WCAC. I couldn’t care less about securing WCAC talent. And yeah, they’ll probably go up into Philly and NJ as well, but I think we can still outsell them just fine up there.

But we shall see.

5 Likes

For whatever reasons, I believe the greatest obstacle in Virginia’s recruiting is to identify the kids who will buy what Coach Bennett is selling. I may be completely clueless about the recruiting process, but it seems to me that finding talented prospects isn’t nearly as difficult as finding those who want to play in a “defense first” program with a regimented offense. Certainly, those who imagine that they are OADs, or even TADs, want to see lots of immediate playing time with the freedom to showcase their offensive skills. Then, there are lesser talents who aren’t interested in the focus on defense. And, of course, there are those who really aren’t that interested in attending class, and we all know how Coach Bennett feels about that. Once the staff identifies a prospect who is a good fit, I’m not sure a prospective new coach at Georgetown is that much of a worry. When a recruit chooses to go to another school, I just chalk it up to the notion that they weren’t buying what UVa was selling, and it’s all for the best. And, this doesn’t even consider the possibility that the staff elected to quit pursuing a recruit coveted by fans because they didn’t feel he was a fit.

8 Likes

I was being a little bit of a jackass but it’s fun when you get lucky with a recruit like Dunn.

3 Likes

Well to be honest Fresh I think that was mostly of your doing? He wasn’t even on the radar until you found him… It seems that TB and all of the other coaches are aware of the big names and therefore are competing with alof of programs for them. TB is Peeped to other below the radar players like Dre, Dunn, and Gertrude from secret sources and other friendly coaches … however Buchanan was a complete secret so we shall see how he thrives.

1 Like

And Tennessee, and Kansas to a lesser degree.

Man I appreciate that.

Jay Willy and Orlando and now Getter I think respect my opinion on players I see (grand total of 2 so far!) but yea… there are so many hidden gems around that it is great when you get to guys like these two and get em commited.

7 Likes

This kid out of North Carolina has been exploding (ive seen mentions of him for months on twitter). First time I see UVA showing interesting in him but he already has a Tennessee offer so probably wont go anywhere anyways.

That and also shooting guard seems to be the last priority in terms of look at kids at all other positions having already been offered.

https://twitter.com/pthoops_/status/1619325966408634368

Excerpt:
Swartz has asserted himself as an elite shotmaker, someone who on the offensive end can play multiple roles whether that’s knocking down shots, setting up his teammates, or creating space off the ball. He’s a very enticing prospect, and also very capable on the defensive end.

:

Seems like a combo guard who can shoot it.

2 Likes

The only Austin I care about is the one with the Williford last name okurr?!

4 Likes

Going to Duke, count on it.

GT to play for his old man

Y’all are worried about 2025 recruits? We have zero commitments in 2024. Nobody wants to come play for us. We’ll be lucky to get international projects from places like Fiji and North Dakota.

8 Likes

I dunno I’ll take a couple boys from Fiji like this. Teach Papi how to properly face maul
stiffarm

14 Likes

“I have talked with a few programs about potentially taking an official visit,” Perry said. “I am thinking I will try and do an official visit to Virginia in February sometime.”

Virginia: “Coach (Tony) Bennett is an amazing coach, and they pitch that I would fit in their system well. Coach Bennett and Coach (Kyle) Getter have been in contact a lot. They have gone through their way of doing things and how I could help them win.”

Purdue and whether or not Kentucky push are the threats, reconfirmed by this interview lol. UCLA showing interest.

7 Likes