World Cup 2022

There is a good article in the Athletic about it that seems to have full quotes etc if you have the A

2 Likes

Yea that’s mostly what I’m basing my opinions off. Really reads like something Danielle Reyna thought would make them look better but it did the opposite imo. We’ve always heard US Soccer was a small circle but this is bringing out just how bad it is. In what world was it appropriate for Claudio to complain to McBride and Stewart during the World Cup? For them to listen to those complaints as Berhalter’s bosses?

A lot of this seems isolated to the Reynas and Burhalters but that piece absolutely needs to be fixed institutionally. Doesn’t matter if they’ve been family friends for decades, parents should not have a line to vent to management during a tournament.

2 Likes

It’s all out there on twitter (if you can get past the other news of the day), but fwiw the Reynas are basically admitting some of the facts here. Just saying that it happened after Berhalter’s recent comments, and was never a threat.

Also, the wives both went to UNC together and apparently know each other. Oy vey…

In the latest ESPN version, the wives were teammates and roommates and Danielle supported Berhalter’s then girlfriend through the ordeal.

It sounds like Berhalter told that story (supposedly confidentially to a room full of people and anonymously though it was easy to figure out who the subject was) smearing Gio, so Gio’s mom spilled the tea about Berhalter as payback.

The part about Claudio complaining to US Soccer officials (who are his former teammates) during the WC about his son’s playing time…that sounds like rec league BS.

No one looks good in this. At all.

4 Likes

I just want berhalter gone, independent of anything to do with Gio or these allegations.

8 Likes

You could argue that Bob Bradley and his son Michael as national team coach and team captain respectively was potentially a much worse dynamic, but I agree with your assessment of Claudio and Danielle’s questionable conduct.

1 Like

Agreed! Need to stop putting the program in these situations! Idk how to do it other than by spacing out the management roles to be from different eras/some international execs rather than giving all of the power to one generation of former players! At least then there are some checks and balances and differences among loyalties

Well Gregg’s brother was the number 2 person at the U.S. Soccer Federation when Gregg was hired so lots of controversies with Gregg. Agree with @WFS_HOO just want him gone.

2 Likes

Rolling Stone magazine published an article in 2014. Nazis marched on the Lawn in 2017. Neither of those two high-profile events were handled well by President Sullivan but she was untouchable thanks to Helen Dragas’ failed whatever it was in 2012.

If Berhalter’s fired now, it’s going to seem potential blackmail contributed heavily to the decision; US Soccer doesn’t have the stones to handle the controversy that would surely follow. Thanks to the crybaby Reyna family (I can’t believe I just typed that) Berhalter’s going to be almost untouchable. And that’s terrible for US Men’s soccer.

Assuming he does stick as manager, and the blackmail story is true, Berhalter should never call Gio up.

I hope he doesn’t stick.

I also just want him gone. That said, this whole situation certainly appears to be a ploy by USSF to make Gregg the victim (nothing about this needed to be public), conduct a show investigation, and then re-hire Gregg. I hope I’m wrong, but fear I’m right. What a mess.

5 Likes

I’m inclined to be Pro-Reyna and anti-Gregg about most things but this is a bad look for the Reynas. Seems there should have been much better ways to handle this mess.

6 Likes

100% This. They’ve had plenty of chances to let go of Gregg quietly and gracefully. The last 48 hours of airing dirty laundry and leaks to the press is circling the wagons around Gregg.

1 Like

The coaches contract expired Dec 31… Gregg gone

1 Like

They had a press conference yesterday where they said he is still a possibility to manage the next cycle and even called out how “continuity of style” between cycles is critical. They said they’d make a decision after “the investigation” is complete.

If he was truly gone, they would have simply released a statement saying they parted ways and thanked him for his service. The coordinated announcements and leaks over the last 48 hours can only be explained as an attempt to circle the wagons around Gregg and try to keep him. They are getting the media tidal wave out of the way now ahead of offering him a new contract after checking the investigation box and shifting the focus to the reynas’ behavior. That’s my guess anyway.

1 Like

Thats wild and had never thought about that angle.

I am friends with the Reyna’s and have been for years. So full disclosure there, but after watching us qualify and then in the WC I am on the side of Gregg gotta go (way before this stuff happened). I also have no solution as to who should be the replacement (Claudio?)

US soccer should also hire Kyle Martino in some capacity. The dudes energy and charisma is unreal.

Guess we see what happens from here

2 Likes

Reyna sure seems like an unlikely replacement at this point

3 Likes

Hahahaha. Ya think? Dont think he ever wanted to coach really anyway

1 Like

I agree with the sentiment that this looks bad for the Reyna fam, but I’m not sure I agree that USSF can’t move on Berhaltedthescoringofgoals because of it. I don’t want to start any sort of moral discussion re: the degree of his offense like happened with the Chris Beard incident, but he did admit to it. USSF could easily conclude that even a whiff of domestic violence is unacceptable and certainly a bigger potential PR issue compared to any perception of caving into pressure from the Reynas.

2 Likes

I was told I wouldn’t have to care about soccer for another 4 years. WTF.

3 Likes

All up in your grill Dragon! Hahaha

1 Like