2021/2022 Basketball Pre-Season Chat

At least one of Taine or Carson is going to play a role. Imo the safer bet is the kid who grew up playing the American style and already has a year in the system. Imagine they’ll both get a decent amount of opportunity in the non-con given how may cupcakes we play.

3 Likes

Any Ballot that doesn’t have Reece Beekman as ACC POY is just slander. Also Isaiah Wong and Prentiss Hubb are just stat inflaters/empty stat gainers.

Hmmm… another Duke freshmen as ACC POY… I guess we will see if that happens… down year in the ACC if Aluma is first team….

1 Like

Reece!!

I see Prentiss Hubb is winning the 21-22 Garrison Brooks award for guy that ACC media have heard of.

9 Likes

Prentiss Hubb has yet to shoot over 40% in a season. And no, I’m not talking about three-point percentage. Just field goal percentage.

8 Likes

So, you’re saying he’s due.

4 Likes

More likely Banchero is national player of the year than he isn’t ACC freshman of the year. He is a stud. Marvin Bagley level of impact.

2 Likes

Yeah. If someone was trying to claim that like Flip was going to coast to RotY or Hurt, I’d have none of it. But Banchero is a beast.

1 Like

Normally I’m the last one to buy into the Duke preseason hype every year, but this might be their best since going to the OAD model.

Even better than the 2015 title team, or the Zion/Barrett group. If anything I think they’re underrated right now in the national polls.

2 Likes

I mean that Zion team was pretty incredible. Honestly the only team that I thought could match our talent that year.

1 Like

Before the 2018-19 season ever tipped off, I felt like their Achilles would be perimeter shooting. That’s what made our game with them at JPJ so frustrating…they looked like the Splash Bros in their prime for a good chunk of that game.

4 Likes

The shooting percentages from three in both of those games were absurd. We shot way below our average in the first game and they shot close to double their average in the second

4 Likes

They were switching everything the first game and letting Ty Jerome go iso on their center instead of letting us get easy 3s

Yeah but we shot 17%

1 Like

It’s an interesting conversation. Preseason expectations vs what teams actually turned out to be. If Gary Trent and Grayson Allen shoot like expected that 17/18 Duke team is almost undoubtedly one of the best of of the 21st century and could’ve had a great battle with that Nova team in the Final Four.

Similar roster construction this year with studs in the front court and questions at guard. Although I do think Roach is much better than Duval was.

There has to be a middle ground between no scrimmage (if a scrimmage happens and only 1% of the fanbase sees it, did it really happen?) and this

6 Likes

Duke sucks

2 Likes

Mumphis!

I agree, but if I had to pick between the two extremes, I know what I’d pick. This stuff is supposed to be fun. A lot of the midnight madness stuff is silly and self indulgent, but it is the entertainment business after all… I did think Kansas’s stuff a couple years ago was a little over the line.

1 Like