2021/2022 Basketball Pre-Season Chat

I *hope that several of those items are ironed out- ie: No major injuries, Transfer-ins that will contribute, Who knows if anybody even *cares about Covid anymore… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I think that’s just the college basketball climate we live in. Hopefully the 2022 class is the means to getting back to that continuity and that Reece Beekman unlocking his Rajon Rondo (not sitting in the corner) carries us until then

2 Likes

I get that part but I dont care about other teams. What TB and staff has is special and the continuity is what I think we all love And of course a Trey Murphy or Sam Hauser ever so often

1 Like

Just listened to the Goodman pod with Tony Bennett. Here’s a summary of what Tony had to say for anyone who doesn’t have time for the full pod:

• Tony’s biggest worry about recent NIL, transfer, etc. rule changes is that he fears college basketball will lose its camraderie/feeling of college experience and become more “like a business.” He also discussed the difference between the college & pro games.
  • Speculating on new NIL/transfer changes, Tony speculated that some ADs/sports folks around college basketball might choose to leave the business. He said that some families and recruits are being pitched by colleges exclusively because of their market value & sold on NIL opportunities, but Tony’s pitch is still first and foremost about development as a basketball player.
  • Speaking about the national tournament win and UMBC loss: Tony mentioned that he wouldn’t be able to survive in this business if he based his satisfaction solely off the results each season. He sees his chief responsibility as helping develop young men beyond the wins and losses into good human beings.
  • Asked about the Purdue game by Robbie: said that after Carsen Edwards banked in that 3, he just thought “this is tough.” At the end of the game, said he knew that a comeback was unlikely down 3 with 6 seconds left and “it didn’t look great,” but in the moment in sports sometimes things happen. Reaffirmed that he didn’t tell Ty to miss the FT, but if you rewatch the game you can see Kyle telling Mamadi to bat the rebound out after a miss.
  • Apparently, Tony spent some time playing with the Burger King Kings in New Zealand. Joked “I got paid in Whoppers.” Said his time in NZ is what ultimately sent him down the coaching path.
  • Asked if he ever wants to coach in the NBA, Tony said there are pluses and minuses to both (he enjoys the intensity of NBA playoffs). Says that he’s really content at Virginia, and you can never say never, but he’s happy with where he is.
  • Asked if criticisms of the slow pace, etc. affect him, Tony said “not really.” Talked about how he really loves how guys who aren’t blue-chip recruits come through Virginia and then reach the next level. “You can’t apologize for playing the style that gives you the best chance to win.” Talked about how the opportunity for different schools to play different styles is one of his favorite parts of the college game.
  • Asked about this year’s team: “This is probably our most inexperienced team.” Said that Beekman and Kihei fit really well with last year’s roster. Mentions that the team lost three really good perimeter shooters, but still has two guards with experience. Said that the transfers have experience, but they’re “new to us.”
  • Discussed how the offense will look this year: At times, we’ll have to use some ball screens. Hopefully, we’ll be more physical this year than last year. “I’m sure the people who don’t like our style will hate it more this year.” Said the margin of error offensively might be a little smaller than it has been in the past. Expects a more physical team that guards hard and has bigs that can run the floor. “We’re going to have to figure out ways to manufacture some things.” The team won’t be spreading the floor the way they did last year, this year it’ll be more “rugged and traditional.”
  • Talking about the transfers: called Jayden Gardner 6’6 and thick. Noted that the team returns hardly any scoring, and they’ll need players like Gardner to get baskets in different ways. Likes that he’s a little undersized height-wise, because it’s made him develop creative ways to score the ball. Said that Indiana played a bit of UVA’s defensive system, so Armaan has a leg up there. Armaan’s perimeter shooting will be needed this season.
  • Asked about how the team can win the ACC: “We’ll need to be a rugged, tough defensive team.”
  • Good sound bite from Tony: “We’re not a blue-blood program. We’re a blue-collar program.”
  • Said his biggest concerns are the team’s inexperience and the departure of perimeter shooters and scorers.
27 Likes

My take away from the last part - he said he’s concerned about the lack of shooting in their lineup.
That tells me at this point he is fully committed to Clark, Reece, Franklin, Gardner and Shedrick playing a lot. I hope the 3 M’s get consistent minutes as that concern would be eliminated. Oh well.

2 Likes

To start the season, of course, that’s the best defensive line up

2 Likes

Three Man Weave ACC preview podcast. Think they are fair on us but add them to the list of people ignoring how much Tech benefited from not playing any of the good teams last year. I’d put VT in the group with Cuse.

2 Likes

Good job Ben and thanks.

2 Likes

my favorite part was when TB asked Goodman if he played and where. hahahah. stealth

14 Likes

Yeah every 2 years or so Marbly Mouth definitely throws a bit of shade our way- as he mentioned in the interview…How did our team respond? We won the ACC again. So Jeff Poorman in my eyes don’t know dick.

2 Likes

Just a fyi….

7 Likes

Wish they would extend it to Scott Stadium if only to keep the backwoods Hokie fans out of Charlottesville in November.

14 Likes

Any word on a stream for the blue-white game? Two weeks away now…

2 Likes

Hope springs eternal, but I’m assuming it’s a No u til proven otherwise.

Boutta go and pirate a stream on my instagram live for $3 a pop. Don’t think UVA media relations should care…

5 Likes

Gotta be careful wouldn’t want Navy to have too many of our secrets

2 Likes

Zach expanding into the sports broadcasting business?

2 Likes

Sounds like the money making business from far

And a great idea

1 Like

I heard Flo Sports already had exclusive rights.

3 Likes

Meanwhile Duke posted another scrimmage