2021/2022 Basketball Pre-Season Chat

@brogdonfanpage 100% do it …by the way since you ARE down at school you can literally position yourself with the sports department and volunteer to take that task on yourself and position yourself for other similar opportunities :+1:t5::+1:t5::+1:t5: The Fans want this.

1 Like

I went out of my way to use the burner account I use to follow recruiting (and other people with the same condition as my mom) to plead for a stream on the post. Also thinking of sending an email. Change needs to happen both for this year and for fans in the future.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUh_EaCLxA6/

2 Likes

Tony’s the boss. If he wants it streamed, it will be streamed. If he doesn’t then there is no chance in hell.

2 Likes

Which is a shame during a pandemic where even mid majors engage their fans more. Their jerseys say Virginia, and fans all over the state would be there October 16th if they could.

4 Likes

Also we won the freaking NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP last time we streamed it. So clearly it doesn’t give some huge competitive advantage to the competition. Complete BS not to continue streaming it after that.

3 Likes

Man, you don’t know coaches. Their wants and needs are not always reasonable or even logical.

4 Likes

Haha I can believe that! but that’s when Wideman or Carla needs to step in. It’s such a small thing for the team but such a large thing for fans that’s it’s tone deaf not to stream it. Especially right now.

1 Like

Man… the guy won’t even entertain Orange uniforms… and you want him to go to warp speed and stream the game regularly… at time CTB is stubborn to a fault…

Uhhh, CTB can hate orange, refuse to stream, not open practice, ignore NIL, and generally be a curmudgeon when it comes to social media and fan friendliness, because I ain’t trading the man for any other coach out there. Enjoy him while we have him - because one day he won’t be here.

14 Likes

I don’t understand why it would be up to Tony. He has a boss just like everyone else in the world. Is he really going to spend his energy fighting Carla on a one camera stream for fans with health conditions preventing them from coming to JPJ during a pandemic? Seems out of line with his character and like a waste of time for him to be concerned about.

Seems to me it’s more likely Carla or whoever is in charge of in house production doesn’t want to allocate resources to streaming the scrimmage when we have real games being played for fall sports. Didn’t the end of streaming coincide with the start of ACC schools producing games on site?

2 Likes

Yeah it’s weird talking about “allocating” resources when I’m *sure there is some intern, 1st-4th year film or sports student who would love to do this FOR FREE. Besides that using the same video/film resources that are already installed at JPJ.

1 Like

I mean i get that sentiment but we are allowed to complain too. Tony should be on a lifetime contract but Tony aint perfect (no one is). I do get that cult worshipping is a thing though these days

5 Likes

Yea I just remember that was the justification they gave for not streaming the fall after the national title. We had a football game and I think a soccer double header or something along those lines that day. They said they needed the control room and the personnel for those events.

But like you said we just need one student for a scrimmage stream.

2 Likes

Honestly charge $30 for the stream and donate it to charity or the VAF. People paid that much to watch the Towson game for the Flo Sports amateur hour.

I’m sure there’s something in the network agreements that prohibit it but wish we could swing it.

6 Likes

Oh okay I didn’t realize that. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for sharing! Tony is way more on top of all of these changes going on in college sports than he usually likes to let on.

You need one student, one camera, and one open connection to get that stream out. No clue what their schedule looks like but being a football day, it certainly complicates it.

2 Likes

At least 10 other ACC schools figure it out. And we used to be able to figure it out. I think if Carla is aware of how much the fan base is clamoring for it then it will happen no problem.

Doesn’t seem like a Carla problem. The “it’s Carla’s fault” faction notes correctly that there is likely some non BS reason why the AD can’t show the blue-white game while also streaming the chess club final, or whatever it is.

But here’s how this works: Tony says, oh gee Carla, but can’t you make an exception for your Buddy Tony? And when Carla says, gee Tone, You’re putting me in a bad spot. And then, Tony says: Ah golly Carla, I know how important chess club is, so you know I’d only ask you to do it if it were really important to me. And then it gets done.

Is that a model that cuts a lot of corners in how this actually happens? Probably. But I also suspect it’s roughly accurate and roughly describes why we got it once and only once: because it’s not something Tony really cares about it, and to the extent others on his staff raise it, he’d probably affirmatively tell them it’s not terribly important to him (even though, by the way, it might be an okay way to get more exposure for the women’s team, too…)

2 Likes

Non breaking news but TB does not answer to Carla. But of course he shows her due respect in her position as AD

10 Likes