2021 Baseball Season Stuff

Hosting a Super Regional after squeaking in would so be this team.

2 Likes

Kind of reminds me of another UVA baseball team…

4 Likes

All correct but the hosting portion.

For this season only, due to Covid and NCAA testing requirements and protocols, the 8 Super Regional hosting sites will come from the 16 Regional host sites.

I believe the NCAA will officially announce the 8 Super Regional hosts, with team assignments, on Tuesday.

It seems that Columbia or Fort Worth would be logical, but that’s not a guarantee if my understanding is correct.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone

1 Like

I watched every pitch, every strikeout from Neeck and I am still in awe of what the kid pulled off. There’s been some great performances over all sports at UVa. Neeck added his name to the list, just unbelievable what he did.

7 Likes

24 strikeouts in a 9 inning game seems absurd to me

8 Likes

Wow…he was pretty good, very good actually, in 2019 but has thrown about 2 innings this season.

2 Likes

For those who pay more attention than me, why do we seem so short-handed pitching-wise? We’ve only played one more game this week than ODU, but it seems like we’re having to dig deep to find starters the last two games whereas they have their usual guys.

1 Like

There are people that follow closer than me, but a lot has to do with coming out of the loser’s bracket and playing multiple games on Sunday. We have already burned through our normal weekend rotation (Abbott, Vasil and Savino) and mid-week options (Messinger and McGarry), so it sort of becomes all hands on deck. I would expect to see Abbott available for a couple of innings. Kind-of get it to Schoch approach. Very reminiscent of 2015.

4 Likes

STL just put out a good article on this:

1 Like

A few reasons… Vasil only going 2 innings in his Saturday start was a killer, as we had to burn a lot of strong reliever innings to not end the season vs Jacksonville. So we blew our #3 starter (Savino) with 4 innings of do or die baseball, as well as a few others.

Blake Bales being basically unavailable due to injury (he came in for two hitters vs UofSC on Sunday and was clearly not right) is another.

Also, we might have gotten more from McGarry last night but he started bleeding from a blister and had to come out… not that it really mattered, we only used 2 pitchers and both were so good that it didn’t matter, even with one less inning it’s not like Neeck is pitching again today.

Finally, 1) their ace came out on Friday night b/c a ball hit his knee, so he’s unexpectedly available for tonight, and 2) they had low scoring games both Friday and Saturday and were able to ride pitchers and save their pen.

6 Likes

How many innings does Ortiz need to be able to go to get it to Schoch (or anyone else who is left, then Schoch)?

3 Likes

Could we use Vasil in relief tonight?

@Wahoo08 nailed it.

A couple other reasons are that postseason rosters are capped 27 players, so we lost some options off the top there.

We’ve got some undisclosed pitcher injuries too (Paul Kosanovich, maybe Billy Price, Rece Ritchey, maybe others) that have removed options.

Losing the first game and Vasil needing very early relief are the biggest reasons, however.

6 Likes

I suppose we could, as he only threw 53 pitches. But while we don’t have a ton of options, I’m not sure we’d feel great about that given both how off he has seemed of late, and that he’s just never been used like that (i.e., anything other than as a starter with ~a week btw starts). His normal bullpen day would be Wed, so he’s a full two days from that (Abbott’s would be tomorrow - we used him in our Tuesday ACCT game vs vpi in lieu of that session).

1 Like

ODU looked pretty undisciplined at the plate in the innings that I was able to watch closely. All the credit to McGarry in those first three innings, but he was gifted some swings way out of the zone.

And while ODU will have their ace, think Jacksonville got to him pretty hard before he was knocked out. I would assume that knee will also have some bruising which may make things uncomfortable.

Optimistic for a win today. Guessing it will be a slugfest.

1 Like

I’m always fascinated by the college post season format and the decisions players and managers have to make about pitchers. It is an awfully quick turnaround for Abbott, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they were aiming for the Haseley model, 5 from Ortiz, maybe 2 from Abbott if the pitch count is low, Schoch to finish. Of course Abbott has what will hopefully be a long professional career to consider and if he can’t go he can’t go. Sometimes managers have to save players from themselves.

3 Likes

I have become fascinated by Caves

11 Likes

And Dippin Dots, and their relative price over time! Never know where you will find a cave.

7 Likes

something else I have no clue about. Dippin Dots. Predeim I understand very well however

2 Likes