2022-23 Lineup Conjecture fun

Yea it all makes sense. Agree with all that

The discussion of backup PG and secondary ballhandler can get a little jumbled. Secondary ballhandler is probably someone whoā€™s playing with Reece most of the time. We shall see whether that could be McKneely. I donā€™t know if it could be Armaan (@ElliottHoo discussed this above, which obviously limits his effectiveness). Murray seems a bit loose with the ball, at the moment. Dunn is a total wildcard.

Backup PG is whoever is spelling Reece for a few minutes every half. Could be Malachi. Could be one of the secondary ballhandlers. Could be a transfer.

I think filling that secondary ballhandler role is very important. But Iā€™m less concerned about backup PG.

Armaan Franklin is sort of the elephant in the room when it comes to next season. On paper you have a veteran guard coming back who averaged double figures and showed up big in a few of our wins, but thereā€™s a lot more to it that many of us here acknowledge.

First of all, heā€™s undersized where heā€™s currently being played. Second, heā€™s not a good enough shooter to justify playing him where heā€™s currently being played. And third, heā€™s not a good enough secondary ball handler to slot in next to Reece in that role. So letā€™s say we add a 3&D wing which many would say is our biggest need.

Ok, that solves the first problem, but you canā€™t move Armaan over next to Reece because Tony wonā€™t trust him enough to play him as the best secondary ball handling option.

Ok, so you decide that we need another ball handler instead. We know Tony likes to do this so we get a Llewelyn type of player to fill that role. Problem is we still have Armaan at the 3 where again, heā€™s undersized and still canā€™t shoot enough to overcome the former shortcoming.

This is a conundrum, because we know how much Tony values experience in the system and there isnā€™t a lot of precedent for a double figure scorer returning as an upperclassman and seeing a substantial minutes reduction. On one hand, you could argue Armaan played so much because we lacked secondary option, but on the other hand, the more jaded view is that Tony likely has him penciled in for 25-30 minutes a game next year too.

In an ideal world, Armaan is a 6th or 7th man. A role I believe he would fill well and might actually help him with the shooting challenges weā€™ve seen. I think Tony will ultimately prioritize adding a proven guard to play next to Reece so we have a secondary ball handler and donā€™t have to rush PT for our first years, but I do worry that means a penciled in starting spot for Armaan which means another year of limited spacing from the starters.

In an even more ideal world, Tony goes back to his 2017 ways and implements a 8-9, sometimes even 10, player rotation, and we see the young guys (a la Jerome, Diakite, Guy that year) assert themselves and steal PT as the season goes on. Weā€™re still so jaded from these short rotation, starter-heavy minutes from the last few years that itā€™s so hard to imagine a world where each game might see a different group of players come off the bench and log heavy minutes.

4 Likes

This came up a few weeks ago, and I mentioned Woldo as a senior guard (also transfer, albeit JUCO) who lost significant minutes. I donā€™t remember if he was a double-digit scorer.

I donā€™t think Armaan is penciled in for anything. I think he will be in the mix with a few other guys for the 2/3 minutes. Heā€™s got a leg up over Dunn and McKneely (Bond is more of a 3/4) because heā€™s got a year in the system. Heā€™s got a leg up over Taine because heā€™s older and has a year starting in the system. But those three all may have more skillsā€¦ And this ignores potential transfers and/or guys from Norcross GA who may or may not decide to play for us next year.

3 Likes

Yes thatā€™s all true but he has a major leg up if you think about what Tony most values. His familiarity with the packline alone gives him a high floor of minutes in my opinion.

1 Like

You always hear of guys working on their shot and especially threes in the off season. How many really work on their handles I wonder.

Even my favorite Reece!! could tighten is up a bit in my and @chavlicek15s opinion

1 Like

I donā€™t think this is accurate based off Armaanā€™s usage this year. Now whether Tony should trust Armaan as a secondary ballhandler is a different discussion

Not many do ā€¦ I remember in college I was mentoring a local HS kid who was pretty good but not heavily recruited at all - likely could have gone D3 out of HS. He would come to open gym and do ball handling drills on the side and wouldnā€™t play pick up games until he was done ā€¦ many times he wouldnā€™t play at all because he didnā€™t have enough time to do both ā€¦ He went JuCo and actually gray shirted for a year and kept working on his skills - eventually ended up playing D1 by his redshirt sophomore year. His dedication was impressive.

2 Likes

The closest example I can think of was Shayok transferring out after 2017. CTB didnā€™t bench him, but he presumably saw the writing on the wall (perhaps CTB flat out told him) so he transferred instead.

However, its worth remembering that Shayok very much was not a settled starter. Shayok only started 14 games and didnā€™t play more than 20 minutes in any OOC games. Armaan started twice as many games for UVA this year than Shayok did in total.

1 Like

What league was he D1 in ?

Cal State Fullerton - Big West - they play Duke today.

1 Like

Shayok talks about it in the Intangible book. He wanted to be the featured offensive player and Tony was straight up with him (on not promising anything and defense mattering to get minutes) but he remained really positive on Tony.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1665302887/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Is this based on anything at all?? Or is it literally just a feeling

He doesnā€™t know anything. Probably just has a feeling

6 Likes

Thatā€™s what I figured

Lol we are not returning 5 starters from this yearā€™s team. And we cant have 3 years of reece without March madness level floor spaces at the 2-3. Need something different in any regard

6 Likes

You know what would be really cool. If Kihei came back as a player and agreed to be like a player coach as a reserve. Only use him in case of injury or some such. Continue to mentor younger guards and players but really be involved on court in practices etc.

OK, nevermind

7 Likes

I agree, but yet again, we donā€™t always agree with what Tony chooses to do with the rosterā€¦

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d go as far as ā€œuse him only in case of injury.ā€ But I think heā€™d be awesome in a limited, complementary role, taking some pressure off the new players, giving us a reliable backup point guard, providing a defensive spark. And continuing to be a mentor for the younger players.

Would he be willing to take on a role like that? Would Tony want to do that? I donā€™t pretend to know. But it wouldnā€™t surprise me. Itā€™s a bonus year and he has nothing left to prove.

3 Likes

In case of injury more of an example. foul trouble whatever but we on same page with this genius never before done idea

2 Likes