2023 ACC Tournament

Does anyone have tickets for the first session tomorrow - ACC Tournament - they aren’t using? Tuesday at 2pm - first 3 games.

Edit: Never mind … I got 5 tickets for $13 total . :joy:

3 Likes

Grew up in NC and book learnin’ stopped for the tournament. Was different once I got to Virginia. I was forced to do the ear bud headphones/walkman thing. At the very least, teachers looked the other way.

This time of year is special. In some ways the regular season has turned into a little bit of a grind but postseason comes with some great memories and the same excitement I had when I was little. DC and Brooklyn put on a great tournament, but Greensboro is its home.

6 Likes

Concur

We played it in Charlotte my 4 years and I loved the entire set up there. When I was in HS and being recruited by a couple ACC teams it was in Atlanta and that was fun as well

All I remember at the UVa game was Bryant Stith coming off down screens and making 17 footer after 17 footer over and over again

2 Likes

Love it and agree. There’s something special about this week, I get serious spring fever vibes and get an extra lift when the ACCT comes around. Loved watching it during the day when I was in HS. Even in college I’d hole up in my dorm or my apartment and watch.

Greensboro will always scream ACCT to me. We made a pit stop there on the way back to Va over Thanksgiving, and I instantly began rambling off ACCT memories to my wife the moment we rolled into town. Selfishly I’d love to se it back in Atl. But Greensboro No. 1 Charlotte 2.

2 Likes

We had TVs mounted high on the classroom walls (this is pre flat screens obviously). Whether the games were shown just depended on the teacher and whether the Hoos were playing. I remember sitting in biology watching Randolph Childress torch UVA in 1995.

2 Likes

Whenever I hear Virginia fans talk about how much they love Greensboro, I think of Stockholm…

“Well, there’s a big parking lot, and mediocre BBQ, and cheap motels, and the Carolina schools let us run around in the yard as long as we are on good behavior…”

10 Likes

I remember that. Randolph averaged like 35 a game that tourney or whatever. But our guy Junior B averaged like 28 a game. Two ACC Legends there though I could not stand Wake

Jealous of all yall that got the TVs rolled into class like that. In Tennessee we were so into academics we never got that chance …:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

You sound like a typical big city guy who doesn’t comprehend that there’s this thing that’s been invented called a car to get around and go to places that aren’t a two minute walk from the venue

2 Likes

I accept your compliment. :wink:

Tbh, though, I think DC is the best location overall for Wahoo fans

5 Likes

And of course I’m biased towards small town as we moved out of Los Angeles to get out of the big city because we were tired of it and now we live 25 minutes from the Greensboro Coliseum So we just go to our favorite restaurant before the game and then drive in

2 Likes

One thing I did like in G’boro for the bigger games was (1) it’s huge, and (2) no/minimal luxury boxes

That said, I was 2 rows from the top and the court was faaaaaaar away (much better when we snuck down to 1st row behind the basket)

1 Like

Ok Boeheim

6 Likes

It’s 100% nostalgia talking for me.

In my 20’s Dragon I was all about DC, I lived there it has great food great bars and easy to navigate. Even Atlanta (which has better nightlife) isn’t as easy to access if you don’t know the area.

Charlotte is overrated but again nostalgia gives it a bump.

NYC… waste of space and reeks of sellout.

5 Likes

My first ever ACC tourney was in ATL in … was it 2000? 2001? 2002? It was in the GA Dome and lots of first time fans got to go. Fun scene in the CNN center with all the fans, I thought. Except for the Terps fans whose idea of fun is to chant obscenities at each other. We lost to GA Tech in game 1. I think it was the tourney where K pulled one of his dumb stunts – like forgetting to pack the home jerseys or something like that.

1 Like

The Atlanta ACC’s tourney’s were just before my time (I was in HS or early college so in Cinci or Ire) so I never got to go to them. I’m sure an 18-22 yr old Dragon woulda loved it Remember that they did the games at the Ga. Dome I’m not sure they could even do a tourney here. Would have to be at State Farm Arena which may be hard to navigate with the Hawks. Mercedes Benz is way too big.

DC does do a great job with tournaments though. Also hosted a few Rnd of 32/16 weekends which were always epic as well.

3 Likes

Eats that are 5-15 min from the Coliseum for those wondering:

http://hopsburgerbar.com/
https://www.banditobodega.com/menu

https://undercurrentrestaurant.com/lunch/

4 Likes

I miss the Les Robinson Invitational. It was the perfect palate cleanser before watching the real ACC tournament. For UVA, avoiding the LRI was a season goal in itself.

2 Likes

As a New Yorker and a day 1 hoos fan, I cannot relate to any of this haha, college bball was not widely recognized up there. My years in cville were magical for this (and many other) reason lol.

4 Likes

College basketball was not widely recognized in New York? I’m about to use up all my 6 fouls… :joy:

2 Likes