2023 UVa Offseason Chatter

Preferred walk-on?

1 Like

Not at all surprised he returned, as I heard him comment that getting his degree from UVA is a priority for him, and who can blame him for that?

3 Likes

He got accepted into Mcintyre which is a pretty big deal, and then on top of that Armaanā€™s departure gave him at least an honest shot at PT this upcoming year, no incumbent at the 3-spot so heā€™ll have a fair and open competition with iMac, Rohde, and Bond for minutes at the 3. All a guy can ask for in this program.

7 Likes

In case anyone has $34 burning a hole in their pocket today.

1 Like

New faces but this could be a very exciting team. Rohde provides new playmaking to go alongside iMac (and hopefully Groves) shooting, and maybe a record amount of dunks between Gertrude, Bond, Dunn, and Minor. Gonna be a bumpy road but I think this team will be very fun, just need one of Rohde, Gertrude, or Harris to be a reliable option. Two means we would be legit

16 Likes

It looked Eli was at an event (maybe playing even?) last weekend. Anyone have any Intel?

Iverson classic was the event

2 Likes

Iverson Classic. Sounds like he was there to hang out, but didnā€™t play.

3 Likes

I got curious about what is the record number of dunks under TB and it looks like the most dunk-filled seasons have been:

2021: 83-for-88 (dunks attempted were 11.6% of 2PT attempts)
2019: 110-for-124 (10% of 2PA)
2016: 125-for-129 (9.2% of 2PA)

2021 had less games, so on a per-game basis it was pretty high.

2021 had Jay and TM3 accounting for almost all of the dunks (Hauser had one dunk though).

2019 had the top dunkers being Mamadi, Jay (who had a ridiculous dunks-per-minute rate), Dre, then Salt. Austin Katstra was credited with a dunk that year, only one less than Kyle.

2016 had Gill going 51-for-51 on dunks, a decent chunk of Tobey dunks, and then DT and Zay contributing some.

All data from Torvik.

7 Likes

Got it - there was just a photo on Instagram of him on the court with a ball

6 Likes

Yea man like @StLouHoo said. Was on roster but declined to particpate in much. They were really excited about it. I can find out what the experience was like etc

9 Likes

Iā€™m excited about Dante Harris too. Watched a lot of tape and they ran zero offense at Georgetown. A lot of his shots were improvised, mid range attempts, but he was very adept at getting to the rim. We havenā€™t had a guard with that quickness since Jontel and he might be quicker honestly.

As long as he plays within the offense, I think heā€™s going to thrive with the guards weā€™ll surround him with.

10 Likes

Think heā€™s going to be ready for workouts in June?

Yep! He is going to have the shooters that Kihei had for one year (2019), and that Beeks never really had, so he *hopefully will look good!

1 Like

Thats the plan. He is ā€œworking outā€ already. But is controlled stuff still

2 Likes

This Dante Harris optimism has a distinct ā€œtalking ourselves into somethingā€ flavor to me. Sorry, folksā€¦

To be clear, maybe Dante Harris will turn into a high level Power 6 hooper after not being close to one his first two years. The future is inherently hard to predict, and thatā€™s something that could definitely happen.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/UVAMensHoops/status/1653791535606136833

13 Likes

Maybe people are just excited to have a 1 PG lineup. Thatā€™s what has me fired up.

5 Likes

My only reservation about Harris is his outside shooting.

To me though, our staffā€™s approach to the portal tells me weā€™ll be ok. With Kihei departing, and a slim likelihood that Reece will return, we still didnā€™t target a true PG. The staff has been watching Harris with our guys since he committed and if there was a concern we ā€œsettledā€ or needed more, we had plenty of opportunity and didnā€™t. And itā€™s not like we targeted true PGā€™s and missedā€¦we didnā€™t go after any outside of Rohde who is more of a CG/2nd ball handler.

4 Likes

I hope everyone savors this Dunn season because I think thereā€™s a decent chance itā€™s his last in a UVA uniform

4 Likes

That follow put back dunk he was just floatingā€¦

6 Likes