2023 Virginia Football

Bit odd timing but have to believe this is the right move for him.

8 Likes

Right decision for him without a doubt.

3 Likes

Agree, I was never high on him as a QB. But he clearly has potential on the diamond. At some point he had to make a choice.

3 Likes

Did he get any run last year as a QB? He should have but I dont even remember him playing at all

3 Likes

He didn’t sniff the field which should be an indication of where he stood on CTE’s depth chart. But frankly there’s a reason he was not a prospect coming out. Again great kid great athlete. But not a standout D1 QB. He is a stand out D1 and possible MLB closer.

5 Likes

What’s crazy is his 95 mph fastball is now slow for a Major League reliever …

2 Likes

I think if he stuck to just football starting from his 1st year here, he could’ve been a very solid college QB. Good mobility, cannon of an arm, and smart. But his best sport has been baseball from the start and it offers him the best chance to go pro, so it makes complete sense why he tried to play both.

I’m very interested to see who we add as a backup/potential competition for Muskett now, because we NEED a transfer or two at QB. Colandrea was a steal and will be a great player for us down the line, but he is not ready to step in and be the guy this season if Muskett goes down.

I am pretty glass half empty guy about the state of football. But this is going to be an exceptionally tough season.

Game 1 = Blowout Loss to Tennessee
Game 2 = Opening home loss to JMU with likely at least 1/3 of Scott dressed in purple
Game 3 = Probable away loss at Maryland
Game 4 = Scott Stadium ghost town

Oy

7 Likes

That’s my biggest concern and even my slight criticism of the timing of the announcement. JW was Muskett’s competition and expected backup heading into and coming out of spring ball. Now the QB room is looking very thin or they just trot out Colandrea and hope for the best if Muskett goes down.

Also for what it’s worth I’m don’t want it to seem like I hate JW from all accounts he’s a great kid and like I said a helluva athlete. But even the best athletes have to draw a line in the sand and make a choice at some point. It feels like he made the right one for him and his future.

4 Likes

I’m honestly surprised the decision wasn’t announced prior to Jay playing for team USA. Maybe he was still up in the air about what he wanted to do and used that time period to make 100% sure he was gonna go fully down the baseball path, but when I saw he was gonna be doing that instead of participating in football practice I kinda figured the writing was on the wall.

I would hope the coaching staff at least were aware of this possibility ahead of time and got a bit of a head start on looking for transfer options.

5 Likes

That game breakdown sounds a lot like the pre-Welsh years. Everything since 1982 was just a dream…

1 Like

I have no idea, so I will throw it out – what are the odds of even getting a decent QB in the transfer market at this point?

2 Likes

Slim but they are looking for a backup level QB so they wouldn’t have to be great or even expected to contribute. Just outperform a first yr.

1 Like

I would assume there’ll be another small wave of portal options once team depth charts start to take a more clear picture. Definitely running out of time though and whoever is brought in will have to learn the playbook quickly.

2 Likes

Maybe once Arch loses his position battle in UT, we can land him the second go around :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Yeah, honestly I don’t get the folks who think the team has a chance of winning 5 or 6 games this season. I think the team starts the season 0-4, and the W&M, BC, GT and VT matchups are the only games in which we’re close to a coin-toss to win. I expect a 2-10 season.

6 Likes

really hoping with a focus on baseball throughout the fall he can find an extra gear. he’s bumped 97 a few times (think mostly his first year) and if he can sit there vs. low 90s he finished this year (92-94), that would make an impact.

also curious if he wants to make a go at starting vs. closing or being the top bullpen arm in whatever fashion they choose to use him.

3 Likes

I see 4-8 if Muskett stays healthy. BC, W&M, GT, and then a random win over somebody else on the schedule (hopefully VT).

I’ve seen some fans say that JMU is a likely win which I don’t get. That game is at best a coin toss for us and there’s a good chance we go in as underdogs.

4 Likes

There have been believable rumors floating around for the last several weeks. Surprised just now coming out.

1 Like

I say this as someone who went to UVa when we could beat any team in the country on any given Saturday/Thursday, so take it with a grain of salt, but if we can’t beat JMU at home, let’s just shut down the football program and go join the Big East. #BeatJMUorShutItDown

(maybe Elliott can use this as a big motivating rallying cry, like Bronco did for Beat Tech)

6 Likes