šŸ€ 2024 Basketball Transfer Portal - Portal Kombat! Fight!

Trilly has already hinted itā€™s Kansas

5 Likes

Makes all sorts of sense. He reminds me so much of Gradey Dick.

3 Likes

Too bad. McThreely-squared: what could have been.

2 Likes

Vanderbilt is so dogshit they have no videos or clips so his Notre Dame highlights. 6ā€™8 wing version of Jayden Gardner with a higher ceiling as both a 3pt shooter and defender/shot blocker. I like him because he has a high ceiling on top of already being a solid producer.

I also just want to get back to the power 5 transfers who have solid production that we have a previous relationships with that seem to be our sweet spot (Gill Thompson Key Hauser heck even Nigel Johnson helped us win an acc title and kept us competitive vs UMBC lol)

2 Likes

the rare ā€œold schoolā€ PF. Thatā€™d be a pull.

If he can hit some from time to time and is asked to, then Iā€™m good with it.

Itā€™s probably very wishful thinking but I think we can do better. Heā€™s a very solid player but I really want a guy with higher three point volume and a higher athletic ceiling, now if we can get that alongside a guy like Lubin then Iā€™m all for it.

Lubin would be the best transfer weā€™ve pulled in the NIL era

I agree with the sentiment @UVApride7 but @norfolk_hoo is also right LOL.
Offset it with also adding a scoring wing?

2 Likes

Thereā€™s always been NIL in one way or another. Weā€™ve always competed against it ā€” itā€™s just now in the open.

Thereā€™s no difference between the transfers we got previously in terms of inducement offered by another school (or even us).

The bigger difference is the no-sit transfer rule. Our best transfers have come with the previous rule still intact (and sometimes using waivers in that system ā€” Key and Murphy).

VAL would be a fantastic pull. So much upside. Proven production at this level. Instant starter if Dunn bolts. And weā€™d have a legitimate shot imo

He could look at Dunn - who would have gone pro in this scenario - and see a path to getting drafted even if heā€™s not elite offensively.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the thing though, we need someone who is elite offensively lol. Again I donā€™t wanna discredit Lubin and would completely understand if the staff heavily pursues because like norfolk said he would probably be the best transfer weā€™ve landed since NIL, but at the same time we desperately need an athletic wing that can just come in and shoot the piss out of the ball on the perimeter. I have doubts about Lubin being that kind of player, super reliable 4 man who will do a lot of great things for us but not someone I see being a go-to option on offense for a really good team.

Could just be missing something here.

I do agree with the violent need for a wing scorer.

My hot take more recently (a flip from where I was a month or two ago) is that if we can absolutely only add one player, I would just run a Bond Cofie Buchanan Robinson front and try to find that go to wing scorer on the perimeter who can maybe slide down to the 4 at times.

Edit: that being saidā€¦ Mahaney Lubin Ward Tucker.

1 Like

I mostly agree, but also the kind of shooting athletic wing who has proven that at a high major level is going to be quite pricey in the portal (eg AJ Storr).

Very true, and Iā€™m not really expecting us to land that kind of player unless thereā€™s been significant changes to our NIL budget/approach. Iā€™m of the opinion that itā€™s fine to take a risk on a high production mid major transfer even if we havenā€™t had the greatest luck with that, thereā€™s plenty of examples of guys who came in and immediately produced for really good P5 teams. Just gotta find the right fit, and if we canā€™t even get in the door for that caliber of talent then yeah you take Lubin and donā€™t look back.

But if itā€™s true that weā€™re a top 1/3rd team in the ACC (or at least planning to be) when it comes to NIL we should be able to land at least one of those mid major guys.

2 Likes

No idea if its past follows but Indiana staff follow Cade Tyson and Arkansas/Tennessee coaches follow Tucker Anderson (but that makes sense since he was probably on Arkansas radar out of HS and his mom is a Tennessee legend so Im sure heā€™s been on visits/tours there)

ElMarko (and Hunter Dickinson) subpoenaed in the Terrance Shannon Jr incident/were the Kansas players out with him that night. Not directly involved but imagine Tony wouldnā€™t look that way at all even if the need arises.

1 Like

Idk if theyā€™re not directly involved then I donā€™t think Tony would avoid. We took Austin Nichols

Unless you mean basketball wise then I agree

2 Likes

Yeah apparently Nichols had a reputation well know at memphis. Surprised that didnā€™t get filtered. Really nice guy though. Met him once/was good friends with a friend of mine.

2 Likes

I had a discussion section with him and he was super cool. Weā€™d always chat whenever weā€™d run into each other at bars

2 Likes

Man never thought about but did Nichola scare CTB straight of ever signing a player with a mark on them?

2 Likes