2024 Class Reachout day (June 15th 2022)

@dave92 - uuhhhhh, I was joking with WFS, but if we can speak it into existence, then I am willing to take credit.

3 Likes

Not 100%, but we haven’t lost many kids who publicly committed. At least recently. Anyone other than SKJ?

1 Like

It’s ok, I was joking too :grinning:

It’s not that common in basketball overall. More of a football thing.

1 Like

:rofl: I was hoping to generate some buzz

1 Like

I’ve noticed no 3 stars recruited last year, this year or next. One could say the same about ‘21 but the foreign players aren’t properly assessed nationally.

To clarify I’m not saying it’s a criticism I agree with. Just the one I’ve seen way more often than TB settles too early. I actually think since the 2019 class our staff has gotten who they want at a high rate. Just have wanted too many of the wrong guards. We’ve had an evaluation issue not an acquisition issue.

1 Like

Me coming back to my 2024 thread

evil watch the world burn GIF

10 Likes

I would say it to him literally, and if he commits because of the sports cars, we should turn him down because that’s not #5Pillar behavior. That’s six dimensional recruiting thinking there.

No. No no no. This is the definition of a straw man argument.

I am not displeased with the staff’s efforts. I am a vocal supporter of tony and his staff on 90% of the debates around here.

I’m salty because the arguments opposing mine are fucking WEAK SAUCE.

THEY want a PG. THEY aren’t going to get one (maybe probably). If not a bungling of the process, what would you call that?

A good try? A bad break?

Bullshit. When tiger woods hits the ball up against a monstrous boulder, he intimidates the rules official until that boulder is declared a loose impediment. Alternatively he pitches out makes par and goes on to win by ten. (This is all before he fucked himself up on opioids and car crashes). I’m tired of fucking losing. We need to win.

5 Likes

Wow we see life very differently.

3 Likes

Ok you were just irritating me until your last paragraph and then you convinced me. Great :tiger2: pull.

1 Like

Just addressing the idea that there are folks who think we settle for lessor players too early:

I’ve seen it elsewhere for certain, not sure I’ve seen it on this board but I haven’t actively posted on this board until recently even though I’ve been a member for a while. I’ve seen it as far back as 2015 during the 2016 class cycle when there was some criticism for taking a point guard recruit rated in the mid 100s with primarily mid major offers. That same young man blew up in Spring / Summer AAU ball and became a top 60 or so recruit and led UVA to a national championship. I saw it recently with Blake Buchanan (no good basketball prospects come from Idaho).

Addressing that: it is my belief that Tony should look to strike early and trust his evaluations. Some aren’t going to blossom and perhaps there will be criticism he “settled” too early, but most of his early offers become top 100 recruits (Blake Buchanan recently) regardless of their ratings at the time of Tony’s offer by fan websites with dubious skill at talent scouting. I don’t know where this blind faith in prospect ratings by fan websites became a thing. Generally you see recruits being heavily recruited by Kansas or Duke or UNCheat jump way up in the rankings because the fan website scouts had their evaluation wrong in the first place.

I’m much more comfortable with Tony’s early offers versus having to scrap late against the blue bloods or the sleaze bag programs that are fighting for the remaining high level talent in the Fall.

3 Likes

@HoozGotNext I got a 5er with your name on it if you move all these comments to the other thread.

3 Likes

Or Ill just make a new 2024 thread next week closer to September 9th.

1 Like

Moved a bunch to the LJ thread. Apologies if I moved any out any that were on topic.

2 Likes

You are a miracle worker HGN. No stone too big for you to push

2 Likes

4 Likes

Hmmm I can’t recall us recruiting and landing someone *early that nobody liked? I think it has been the opposite with us moving too *slowly and having to settle on players that are international or are low 3 stars (McKoy). Typically when we land someone early we are pretty happy about it even if they don’t end up working out (Casey Morsell).

Where did I say “early that nobody liked?”

I said “some folks” and I also noted I hadn’t necessarily seen it on this specific board. And I provided two specific examples.