'21 - '22 In-Season UVa Basketball Chat

A lot of NBA scouts riffing on UNC after watching them this weekend. Send to GG Jackson please.

5 Likes

Yup, it’s kind of a disaster there tbh. I watched them play and holy hell, they play no defense. They can score but they’re are all unassisted.

2 Likes

Are we like the inverse UNC? Play defense but at times painfully unselfish on the offensive end and consequently can’t score?

2 Likes

They are both apparently losing brands of basketball what Carolina is doing is more fun to watch right now TBH

4 Likes

Carolina is like UVA football

9 Likes

This has been their MO for years now, so they’ve earned the reputation and it’s not a new revelation. But Davis is acting like it’s unacceptable and will change immediately. He can’t change that culture any time soon. They’ve allowed it for too long (and he was part of the coaching staff). And he’s had all of preseason and 4 games to show some initiative defensively, and they seem to have zero interest. Maybe even less than under Roy, if that is possible.

1 Like

New post up over on the blog: five reasons for excitement as the Hoos tip off ACC play vs. Pitt this Friday. Check it out for some probably-irrational Taine/Igor optimism, a positive Kihei take, and talking myself into Virginia’s chances to contend in the ACC:

12 Likes

Some season data after 8 games. Gives some insight as to who has earned how much playing time so far. It would seem some need their minutes cut and some need minutes added for this team to be at its most effective.

Team -

ORtg: 104.1 (150th of 358)

DRtg: 93.0 (118th of 358)

Net Rating: +11.1

Individuals: If the team is an average of Net +11.1 - the only guys who should play more than 28 minutes a game are the guys that are boosting that average. We have 4 guys at 28 min a game or more and only one of them is boosting the team average - and he is 4th in minutes.

Net Rating:

Shedrick +32.1 - Stay out of early fouls.

Milicic: +28.6 - Simply play more than 7 min a game. (Coach??)

Murray: +24.1 - Simply play more than 8 min a game.

Gardner: +20.4 - 28 min a game

Franklin: +10.5 – 29 min a game - too many so far.

Clark: 6.9 – 35 minutes a game - way too many.

Beekman +5.5 – 33 min a game - too many

Caffaro: +4.5 – 15 min a game - why so many?

Poindexter: -8.6 – 7 min a game – why???

Stattmann: -9.7 — 13 min a game - Come on man.

McCorkle: -19.4 – 6 min a game - 3 DNP’s and 2 others with 5 and 7 minutes. Basically only given a real chance once with 17 minutes.

Offensive Rating:

Murray: 123.8

Milicic: 117.5

Gardner: 114.3

Shedrick: 113.6

Clark: 108.1

Franklin: 105.8

Caffaro: 100.5

Stattmann: 94.6

Beekman: 94.4

Poindexter: 93.0

McCorkle: 74.7

Defensive Rating:

Shedrick: 81.5

Beekman: 88.9

Milicic: 88.9

Gardner: 93.9

Caffaro: 95.0

Franklin: 95.3

McCorkle: 96.1

Murray: 99.7

Clark: 101.2

Poindexter: 101.6

Stattmann: 104.3

2 Likes

I generally appreciate the efficiency ratings but you’re shooting your credibility in the foot with the excuses/footnotes of players you want to succeed (i.e. Carson) that are showing poorly in the ratings.

10 Likes

I just tried to use hoop-explorer.com for evidence for my perennial theory that Reece and Kihei are bad for each other on offense, and the only thing I’ve been able to figure out is this: how the heck would we know because we basically don’t try anything else.

We have played 481 possessions. Kihei has played 420 / Reece has played 402. Reece has played 360 of his 402 possessions with Kihei, and only 42 (10.5%) without Kihei.

So if anyone wants to know whether what the stats suggest about that, the answer is who knows, because we’ve rarely tried it.

6 Likes

Yeah, the only way we’re going to get any meaningful data on that is if one of them picks up two fouls in the first five minutes of a game.

6 Likes

I think if there was a good option, taking all factors into consideration such as defense, ball security, who plays instead, I feel fairly confident the coaches would be playing more than 3 minutes without both of them on the floor. I’m not a believer in the theory that Tony is playing Kihei so much because of his loyalty to him. Joe Harris’s minutes dropped into the upper 20’s his senior year and Akil’s minutes fell by more than 5 because we had other really good options (Brogdon and Gill specifically) available.

Oh I agree with that. I think Tony is doing what he thinks is best, I just happen to disagree. But Tony’s going to the HOF and I’m a guy on the internet putting off his actual work (and nobody is putting me in that HOF either, and if Tony learned a thing or two about it, I’m sure he could point out where I could use some improvement :joy: )

3 Likes

Do we save roster space for Aminu Mohammad at some point or not?

https://twitter.com/Harmon64S/status/1466498209027702790

6 Likes

I hope we have room.

I could’ve said the same thing about Poindexter Milicic and Murray that I said about McCorkle if that helps. I figured it was pointless to say it about Poindexter since he’s a Walkon.

I’m not sure if I should say thank you for introducing me to this because this stuff is definitely my jam or scold you for the obvious hit my family life is going to take because of all the time I spend on this site.

5 Likes

What’s the definition of a walk on? Does it mean a player can’t achieve in his chosen sport? Does it mean there is no chance of becoming a contributing player? Does that player automatically concede to scholarship players? Does it mean that player have no skill set that’s usable? Some walk ons can absolutely play. It’s difficult being in their shoes and always being on a shorter leash. Transfers fail every year a lot of the time. So is that scholarship play considered a walk on? I’m just asking because I find it interesting.

2 Likes

Simply means he is paying for school. Or at least not getting athletic monies for scholarship. Maybe Poindexter can be a contributor long term - who knows? Tony has never had one that he’s played in the rotation for more than a game or 2. - At least since 2013.

3 Likes

It means you are highly highly highly highly (etc.) unlikely to be a significant player on a decent high major team. You sometimes see it (Justin Bean, Utah St, is having a yuge season), but it’s very rare.

1 Like