'21 - '22 Outside ACC Basketball Chat

Florida lost to 0-7 Texas Southern? By 15???

6 Likes

Love seeing the SEC lose!!!

6 Likes

Well, for all the issues there are with UVA’s offense, Texas and Seton Hall just went 3:50 without a single point combined towards the end of their game. I wonder how many consecutive empty trips that is…

3 Likes

That was in the middle of 7:20 drought for Texas, but the only went from being up 2 to down 3!

3 Likes

Wow Ron Harper Jr from half court to beat Purdue

4 Likes

Crazy result… Will be interesting to see the Baylor-Nova game on Sunday. If Baylor wins, they go to number 1 is my guess… If not, does Duke get the number 1 ranking again? I sure hope not.

1 Like

I think we broke Iowa. Since our big comeback from 21 down, they’ve lost 2 games and are currently down by 19 in the second half against ISU.

I dont think they are that good. Yeah they played Purdue close without Keegan Murray, But other than that they aren’t really special.

1 Like

I think their best player got injured in our game, right? Is he back yet?

I feel like we always think we break the teams we lost to when in reality they’re just not that good

Yeah since falling short in that thrilling comeback, we barely beat Pitt and we lost to JMU, we’re just bad too. The only thing aging well for us is that Providence win, maybe chalk that up as a flukey pre-holiday tourney.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s fluky. Franklin played well

2 Likes

They are not that good. I mean we all need to come around to it as well, we’ve literally struggled at some point against everyone we e played save Provd. Bad teams we’ve struggled against. Leigh Radford Uga Pitt Navy JMU

O/U we win 8 conf games

2 Likes

As long as we continue to run mover-blocker without elite offensive talent we’re going to struggle heavily on offense. And the D isn’t that good. And we can’t really rebound. And we don’t take care of the ball well. So I will go under

Also how on earth does an Iowa State team that went 2-22 last year put together a SUBSTANTIALLY more talented team in just one year. Damn

2 Likes

As a pessimist, I have the unified theory: Our noncon featured two tourney teams at most (Houston, Providence) and one (IMO, borderline-ish) top 25 team (Houston). Getting Providence in the second night of a back-to-back, with them playing the late night game the night prior, was an underrated boon to us. Hence Tony’s remarks about having tired them out. Yes, we were back-to-back, too. Heck, maybe we’d be a back-to-back top 25 team, but that’s not college hoops’ structure until conference tourneys.

I’ve gone through lots of Tony whispering but a slightly sour thought is that this team needed to be playing good hoops in Nov and early Dec to run through this noncon to set us up to make the tourney. My main whine about Tony that has kind of crystallized for me in the past year or so is that he views ACC regular season standing as on par with, if not perhaps more important than, the NCAA tourney. He said on media day that he views that as the standard for judging his team. Which leads to me another in my meandering Tony-whispering thoughts: Tony is maxing out this team for the January-February ACC doldrums. It’s not being maxed out for Nov/Dec and it’s not built for March. I think either of those goals has him realizing his shooting woes are a glaring deficit that should be his primary focus. But he’s maxing the team to catch more “Providences” – that is, catch more teams on the metaphorical second night of back-to-backs that happen in the long dreary late January slog through ACC gyms in Blacksburg, Chestnut Hill, South Bend, Syracuse, etc.

2 Likes

I think there are several HOF coaches who use the OOC games to build toward their conference games, sometimes at the expense of their early season record— Calipari and Izzo come to mind. It would be fair to point out, though, that those coaches have an apparently more consistent record of success in the post-season (albeit all three have the same number of Natties). But it’s also relatively early in Tony’s coaching career, and maybe that will change.

3 Likes

Yeah, tbh, I think that most years it’s not a bad strategy. But it’s not an ideal strategy for a bubble team.

2 Likes

It also works better when your conference games involve a bunch of tournament teams rather than a bunch of bubble teams.

4 Likes

Just reading the Auburn news (Chuck Person thing finally being punished) and my main view is this: crediting self-imposed postseason bans is really, really dumb.

To really make a post-season ban have any teeth, you’d almost have to skip a year. Postseason ban in 23-24: now THAT is a punishment with some bite on the recruiting trail…

Edit - another thought… the point of the penalties is ostensibly to punish the institution / program, more than the players. Delaying the penalty accomplishes that – you give guys time to transfer and also give anyone who committed thinking they could go to the tourney in their first year time to reconsider. Punishes the school without punishing the players. Seems like an elegant solution.

3 Likes