'21 - '22 Outside ACC Basketball Chat

Yeah I should also be less angry when watching Kody eat 27 minutes of the 3 M’s time.

7 Likes

Man, Lil’ Penny looks terrified.

That anger is totally justified

That anger is totally justified

Just thinking about Kody getting quality minutes period makes me instantly frustrated. Thinking of how Malachi took minutes from the three M’s in the non-conference schedule makes me very frustrated. Thinking of how Taine got a combined 6 minutes against Coppin State and Lehigh makes me extremely frustrated.

Tony’s development, or lack thereof, of our young players warrants criticism in my opinion. Easy to get over a.) if you’re winning a lot games or b.) are letting them ride pine in favor of proven players, but we’re talking about a walk-on and a senior who is about as low upside as we’ve seen in quite some time.

I love Tony, obviously, but I don’t think these call outs and frustrations that many of us are expressing are unfounded. Sure he knows better than all of us, but let’s not ignore that he has a track record for favoring upperclassmen with low upside in favor of higher upside, higher variant players (hell, he didn’t replace Salt as a starter for Mamadi until late in the season). We aren’t good this year and watching us not be good with the likes of Kody (now I’m just piling on) getting major minutes, when we could at least be developing and getting to watch future contributors is tough.

Honestly I had more fun watching the Iowa game than the Pitt game. Even though we lost, we got to see a glimpse of Taine’s potential and it was exciting. Now I’m just tuning in to see Shedrick and Beekman because I know they’re the only two players receiving playing time that could have a major impact on our next “good” team. We’ll end the year with as many questions about Igor and Taine’s ability to be future contributors as we started the season with.

THAT is frustrating.

12 Likes

Show us a Venn diagram with age of maturity and people who post on the Internet.

We’ll said. Yeah I think that Tony likes to win and feels this roster gives it the best chance to do so now.
Frustrating because I think we see the low ceiling.

How I feel about:

In Black Jack, there are those that hit on 16 and those that hold. Tony’s going to always hold and let the dealer beat him or bust.

Maybe we’ll see him hit a few times when the chips are low later in the season.

Can you clarify this analogy and maybe provide a little more information about what you mean? Are you saying Tony would stand on 16 against a dealer 10 or that he would stand against a dealer 5? Because those are two entirely different things. Standing is the wrong thing to do in one of those scenarios and the right thing in the other.

1 Like

You are supposed to hit on 16 at times. It’s according to what the roster is showing

1 Like

I bet Tony holds on to Collect 4’s in Uno too. Risking the points to play them on the right opponent.

I meant 7 or higher. Should have clarified.There’s always someone at the table that would rather let the dealer beat them then bust.

My point is Tony would rather play the lower odds and be conservative but “stay in the game”, then make the move to play an unknown card and potentially flame out. Even if it gives the better odds.

Bad analogy I guess!

7 Likes

If there are two strategies in the world:

1. 75% chance to keep it close / 25% chance of a blow out. But only 30% chance to win / 70% chance to lose
  2. 50% chance to keep it close / 50% chance of a blow out. But 40% chance of a win / 60% chance of a loss.

My view of Tony’s strategy this year is that he would opt for strategy 1 (because in the real world, you think you maximize your chances of winning by keeping it close, but sometimes you don’t)

(This is basically the “pull the goalie” thing. You gives yourself a shot to win, but increase the odds of a worse deficit. I think playing more shooters this year is a “pull the goalie” strategy)

3 Likes

This has to be a troll tweet lol

Anyone who says K is currently the best coach in CBB has lost their mind

Also, Boeheim ???

3 Likes

That’s basically a list of guys currently coaching who have the best resumes. It’s not a list of guys who are currently the best coaches.

4 Likes

Just remember Carlik Jones got a bunch of votes for ACC POY. Most reporters don’t dig deeper than surface stats. Or career wins in this case.

7 Likes

What is crazy though is that he specifically states “not all-time” lol

1 Like

Thanks for fleshing that out and not a bad analogy at all. I’m not 100% sure I agree with you about Tony’s approach, but your analysis definitely has some logic behind it.

But now you’ve got me wondering whether Tony would hit 16 when he’s supposed to. I’m guessing he doesn’t gamble and we would never find out.

1 Like

Boeheim being on the list is even more ridiculous

4 Likes

Boeheim and Hamilton ahead of Bennett means this guy has literally tuned out the entire ACC for the last 12 years. Surprising from KSR.

5 Likes

I just wanted a spot to announce this. I want to give my high school alma mater a shout out. According to Max Preps the No 1 girls high school basketball team in Virginia is Carroll County High School. I’m hoping this is their year. They have been close several times

11 Likes

The Carroll County Cavaliers!! (yes, I looked it up)

3 Likes