'21 Virginia Football

Bronco has said multiple times this will be the best UVA offense he has had.

3 Likes

He has sorely frustrated me in the past. The talk is that this offense will be doing schemes and a variety of plays never seen before. We will see. UVA coaches are confident and that gets me a little excited. Then again Anae has to prove himself. In the past he has caused my alcohol level to go sky high on many occasions

1 Like

So I completely respect that opinion, but my only disagreement is that I don’t think it’s that much of a Bronco thing. In modern college football, most teams have that ceiling, and barring truly fluke seasons, will never compete with the upper echelon. We don’t have a big enough donor base or a school that wants to invest as much as it would take to be truly competitive (which I’m OK with - there’s better uses of money). Just kind of the way it is.

That said, I do hope we’re able to raise enough to get whatever that new football building is people want so we can just keep pace with the middle of the pack and have consistent winning seasons (with some 0.500 and slightly below seasons mixed in). And I also agree that the current setup of college football generally saps some of my interest for it, as it’s honestly really lame with there only being like 10 teams that can feasibly compete for the biggest crowns in the sport every year. But I don’t know that it’s this staff or our school’s fault (although we could for sure debate whether a different staff would have a higher, albeit still not crazy high, ceiling).

5 Likes

I think Anea takes a little too much blame for any shortcomings of the team, although it’s understandable. That’s not me saying he’s done a fantastic job - some seasons are definitely better and some worse than others - but I don’t think he’s been bad. Honestly he hasn’t had that much talent to work with at the skill positions and we only just rebuilt our O-line. I get frustrated too sometimes, I just think it’s often easiest to blame things on play calling. I honestly was impressed with some of what he did last year, for example using Thompson in all those different roles (hell, we managed to win some game last year despite our secondary being one of the worst I think I’ve ever personally watched).

Anyway, not going to say I’m a huge Anea fan, but I’m still interested/optimistic to see what he puts together with this crew. If they can’t make at least some measurable improvement in the running game this year though, with this O-line and this much depth at the position, then something is definitely wrong.

6 Likes

I agree. This is the year when he has the talent to put together a possibly great offense. I do think the last half of last year’s season he done a much better job so hopefully this year our offense will rock

2 Likes

To be fair, Welsh was 3-8 in Year 5 before the string of 14 years without a losing season. He never lost fewer than 3 games and never more than 6 after Year 5. Bronco had losing seasons in Year 1/2 but has lost only 5 games each year since. It has been reasonably comparable.

The comments coming from the coaches are overly positive if this team is likely headed for only a 6-win season.

2 Likes

The way they are talking it makes you think it’s going to be a better record than that. I am really anxious to see them play

Wow, wasn’t expecting Illinois to be piledriving Nebraska. Or does Nebraska just suck at football now?

Edit - Might be a tougher game than I expected.

Nebraska is that bad. So much QB turnover and Scott Frost not coaching them up.

1 Like

Scott frost absolutely failing at Nebraska is very surprising

2 Likes

Fact i was super high on him and thought he’d build on yr one not the case. Crazy to the Nwbraska is a tough place to recruit

2 Likes

Maybe the best under Bronco’s regime. However, it will take a lot to better than Shawn, Herman, and Kirby’s best! There’s a lot of depth and talent but not completely proven, yet!

1 Like

Cannot compare Broncos talent to Welch’s. Watch the 97/98 uva/vt game count the NFL studs in orange n blue. Hell look at Grohs 04 team. I love all Uva football players but those guys aint cut the same.

3 Likes

Sorry, I made a mistake there, I meant Bronco’s best offense.

Back then so many guys went League. so true

2 Likes

Lack of depth will once again rear it’s ugly head im afraid

2 Likes

Fact James Farrior was on that team. And barely got love from the media. Think about that.

3 Likes

ha. Potsie gave em an easy 12 years in the League?

2 Likes

I think Bronco does a lot with the talent he gets, but he does not get the breadth of depth of truly high level talent needed to be a consistent 9 win program. For me it has always been his ability to bring in players in a much more competitive college recruiting region. I think that jury is still out.

2 Likes

Yeah, but that '86 team had a lot more talent than 3-8. The season and the team unraveled for reasons completely beyond George’s control. The way everything went down with Word, Petty, and Stadlin shredded whatever chemistry that team might have otherwise had. I’m not saying that was a great team or even one of George’s better ones, but it certainly had enough talent on both sides of the ball to post a winning season and probably go to a bowl game.