'21 Virginia Football

I don’t typically track football until the season starts, but didn’t know where to post this…

Kurt Benkert and Bryce Perkins both making waves this preseason. Looking like a possibility they’ll both make the final roster as a third QB for the Packers and Rams, respectively.

13 Likes

Do most NFL teams keep third quarterbacks? I didn’t think they did

There are some that will carry three (Ravens, Bucs for instance last year). But I think it’s the minority.

Bryce and Kurt kind of played their way into this scenario with good preseason performances. Really comes down to whether the team thinks they can sneak either through waivers to get them on the practice squad.

And then also roster management. You carry 53, but only dress 45. So prob depends on injuries and roster needs as well.

3 Likes

Bryce probably gets an extra boost with his ability to play a few different positions to varying degrees. That said, with COVID and potential for guys to miss games teams may be more interested in keeping that 3rd QB on the practice squad or the 53man roster just in case.

5 Likes

Somewhat football related but funny. Not a Trey Kaufman level f up

10 Likes

LOL! Oh, pops! You’re going to get grief for that until the end of time.

1 Like

pops been drankin

5 Likes

Aww man Pops was feeling good

2 Likes

Looking at our roster and the schedule, I have absolutely no idea what our record will be.

1. Our roster has returners, but they’re relatively unproven / inconsistent
  2. The ACC isn’t dominant by any means, but a lot of teams are poised for 6+ wins and could cause trouble (pretty much every game except W&M Illinois and Duke) are losable
    This gonna be a bonkers season- Hoos could go anywhere from 5-7 to 9-3
9 Likes

Now we’re off to a topic that I love. And I agree with @JoeBoxley I cannot figure out what their record will be. I feel like a 6 win season feels about right and but there will be some close calls in there. I see a lot of 50/50 pick’ums looking at the schedule right now.

As far as players go… I think there’s talent but I’m not blown away by the majority of it, and am afraid they have a low ceiling of potential. The Oline is experienced and should be good. There’s a slew of running backs most with experience but all generally unproven. I’m not sold on Armstrong as a QB, but hoping I’m proven wrong. The wideouts all feel like 2/3s on most power 5 teams outside of Davis who is so young and raw. Defensively, there’s a ton of questions around who will step up to fill some big holes. I do think they will be solid in the front 7, but the secondary needs a massive improvement if there’s any hope.

5 Likes

We have lots of returners and super seniors, but so does everyone else. And a point I’ve heard elsewhere about basketball, are lots of returners from a mediocre team actually a good thing? Is there a lot of development expected between a guy’s 4th and 5th years or even 5th and 6th years?

1 Like

I think there’s some advantage with the 5/6th years. There’s some legit talent across the country coming back as 5th yrs. To me the difference is there’s something to be said for a 23/24 yr old facing off against an 18 yr old. The sheer muscle and power can make a difference if used properly. In addition the super seniors should be less likely to flutter in the big game games and under the bright lights.

3 Likes

Maybe a bunch of 5-7 to 9-3 seasons is what we’re destined for under Bronco. And to be honest I’m perfectly okay with that

3 Likes

I’m totally good with a return to 90s level competence.

6 Likes

Welsh never had a 5-7 season in the 90’s. No disrespect to @norfolk_hoo because I’ve heard that sentiment from many other fans, but it’s exactly why my Virginia Football fandom has faded. The realization that Bronco’s window is 9-3 on a great year and potentially 2-10 on any year. And it’s become acceptable. It saps the fun out of all of it for me.

2 Likes

O Line gonna be great
RB some talent but no idea
QB Armstrong is inconsistent but I think he’ll bring it all together
WR feel pretty good, especially adding Woods

DL glad to have Famui back but not an overowering DL unless Jahmeer Carter or Smiley has a breakout
LBs have some talent but not as sure a thing as last year
DBs ehhhh

3 Likes

I can’t give this enough hearts.

1 Like

Broncos enthusiasm for Armstrong is off the charts. He’s not the kind of coach to talk that way unless he truly believes it. I think he will be excellent if healthy.

2 Likes

I believe we are going to be better than most think. The Oline has a ton of experience and there is plenty of talent at the skill positions. The offense will be good, possibly very good. The defense I’m not as sure about but from what I have read the secondary should be much improved and we sorely need that. That was our achilles heel last year. I’m optimistic and I’m saying 7-5 or 8-4. I will say Bronco has me pumped about this team. Let’s roll Hoos

Offensively my biggest fear is Anai as a play caller. I don’t feel like he’s proven he can maximize the available talent.

1 Like