'21 Virginia Football

Heh well maybe that’s why they’ve boated races UVa the past 2 years.

2 Likes

Wasn’t sure where to post this, this thread seems as good as any:

Duke sucks.

5 Likes

I don’t get this the argument that Bronco is not the guy to get us to 8 or 9 wins consistently, when he’s already done it twice in five years.

George Welsh did it eight times – in 19 years. That’s great. But I wouldn’t call it consistent.

Bronco took over a program that had one winning season in eight years. He has taken the team to three bowl games in four years (and could have gone to a fourth year last year). He has a better record over his first five years than Welsh did.

We’re clutching pearls because of one weird COVID season and some ugly losses this year? The bottom line remains that the team is 4-2. Why are we upset? That we haven’t been dominant? That we’re not 6-0?

I don’t know what we’re realistically expecting from Virginia football. We’re not Clemson. We never have been. We never will be. For all of Welsh’s success, he had more seasons with six or seven wins than eight or nine.

Maybe Bronco isn’t the guy to raise this program to consistently winning eight or nine games a season. But you know what? So far, no one else has been, either.

10 Likes

10 feet away from this season looking very different. Build your house on sand and reap the results

3 Likes

Dragon speaking in proverbs this morning must be feeling pretty good

5 Likes

I agree- we’ve been competitive in most of our games and pulled some major upsets. Ironically the teams we’ve beaten and upset- all teams that were meant to be in the top half of the ACC are in the bottom lol. THEY have a right to have a beef with their coaching, not us lol!

I get your point. But you don’t fire a coach because he WINS the close games. These are exactly the kinds of games we lost in the Mike London era. Building our house on sand is a lot better than when we were building it on quicksand.

Anyway, my point was less about this season and more about the bigger picture: Under Bronco, we’ve won eight or more games in consecutive seasons for the first time since 2004. We’ve gone to three consecutive bowl games for the first time since 2005. To me, that’s pretty good. I’m not ready to bail because we had one weird COVID year and a couple of close games this season.

2 Likes

Neither am I. I’m pressing eject because of 34-34 and 20-25 in conference. Bowl games are a dime a dozen there are roughly 35 a yr meaning over half the teams in the fbs make one. The pin stripe does not equal thw orange or even the peach or gator bowl.

Anyone know Welsh’s conference record?

85-51-3…

1 Like

All I know is Welshs guys were fing tough. Top to bottom. I just dont see that with the recent teams. I know near nothing but am convinced that our present QB is the toughest player on our team

4 Likes

Why run it on 3rd and long in the red zone if your intention isn’t to go for it on 4th and short? Weird.

1 Like

That was mysterious Anae

1 Like

I’m preparing myself for giving up a 60 yard TD here and then perpetually battling from behind

Pass rush just can’t get through on 3rd down

1 Like

Yeah I mean when you send four

3 Likes

Howell should have been left in Miami

1 Like

I’d love to see a thought bubble above Anaes head during the game

2 Likes

I like Anae more than most, but yeah, his red zone decision making when we aren’t in desperation mode is confounding at times. Brennan is shredding their secondary, marches you all the way down the field in like three plays, then you rush it twice in the red zone including third and long?…. But why?

6 Likes

Uhhhh that’s a fumble

1 Like