2nd Spring Live Period Recap

Lol Blake Buchanan liked this tweet

22 Likes

Also like UVA’s two last offers

6 Likes

They finally have all the box scores up on the UAA site. It’s a pain in the butt to dig through them though.

If accurate (big if), Buchanan’s averages through 8 games.

12.4 points 7.8 rebounds and 2.6 blocks

47.2 FG% (42-89) 0-1 3FG 46.9 FT% (15.-32)

7 Likes

Uhhhhhh I don’t like that FT percentage

7 Likes

Hmm. Concerningly low FG% and FT%.

3 Likes

No idea if this comparison will make sense, but I wonder if Tony sees a little bit of Ethan Happ in BB. Obviously don’t think Buchanan is as advanced an offensive player as Happ was (helped that Happ was a wing coming out of HS and then had a growth spurt) but the post scoring and rim protecting reminded me a bit of him. Also the FT% is pretty similar lol.

4 Likes

Seems like a RS candidate.

2 Likes

What was Happ’s issue? Couldn’t shoot past 15? Not fluid on defense? Testing my memory…

Edit : yeah, couldn’t shoot FTs (about 50%), and never shot 3s.

Interesting - not adept at finishing near the rim? Or just took too many shots outside his range (which is fine given the setting)? Or just faced some stronger defenders? Could be lots of explanations.

1 Like

I don’t think Blake Buchanan’s stats from one weekend of ball are significant. That said, I don’t think he’s ready for collegiate competition, either. From what little I’ve seen of his videos, he does have decent ball skills, if he’s not a true 6’10", he’s close to it, and he really needs to add strength and weight. Admittedly, most of what I saw was of him as a high school sophomore and/or junior. He will mature. However, he is going to have to spend some time with Mike Curtis before he’s ready for the rigors of the ACC. I imagine lots of milk shakes will be involved. (If only someone were telling me to drink more milk shakes instead of the opposite!) I believe that Buchanan has a significant upside, and a lot of potential, but his impact will not be immediate. I hope he commits to Virginia soon.

7 Likes

If we use Jay Huff as an approximate, we probably won’t even see Buchanan on the floor until 2025-26. So he has time to develop.

3 Likes

From the intel that I have, he is a sign and stash guy. Definite redshirt candidate.

5 Likes

‘sign and stash’ pretty sure I just heard that on a podcast recently…

2 Likes

I’m not sure that that model applies. If all things were equal, it might. However, Huff had Jack Salt and Mamadi Diakite in front of him. Things might certainly change, but I don’t know if the Virginia’s front court will be as crowded by Buchanan’s second year in Charlottesville. He might be needed in 2025. If he commits.

2 Likes

From one of our social media guys: did Buchanan stay an extra day? Is there another kid visiting? Is it just an old pic?

3 Likes

Final On3 2022 rankings

Traudt - 48
Dunn - 50 :eyes:
Bond - 68
Mckneely - 81 :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

Thats funny

1 Like

On3 has bizarre rankings for the clicks to get attention in their first year lol. Except for the Dunn ranking, that is clearly accurate.

Kyle Filipowski is not even a top 10 recruit he hasn’t done sh*& at any of these national events.

Keyonte George, Dariq Whitehead, Cam Whitmore, Gradey Dick. Top 4

Everyone else should be a multiyear player but will be one and done because of high school expectations placed on them.

5 Likes

Yeah Filipowski at 1 is one of the weirdest semi-consensus rankings I’ve ever seen. Like are we even sure he’s a 1 and done guy???

2 Likes

It was interesting when Grady Dick won the Gatorade Player of the Year, even though most services don’t even have him top 10. Its going to be even more interesting when Kansas gets the Hammer this summer and Grady Dick comes here to start at the 3 for us.

https://www.si.com/college/tcu/basketball/mbb-kansas-commit-gatorade-player-year#:~:text=Gradey%20Dick%2C%20a%20high%20school,honor%20as%20secondary%20school%20seniors.

2 Likes