2nd Spring Live Period Recap

What @Wahooblue said. HGN corrected that.

1 Like

This is the kid/big I like and would be a perfect fit on BOTH sides of the floor. Make the smart move CTB.

Yup, I saw that correction. I was speaking personally, watching some of Buchanan videos he was not impressive to me. Iā€™m sure Iā€™m in the minority but we need guys that can get it done on both sides of the floor. I also have questions on how he performs against top flight comp. Idaho is far from a hotbed for basketball, I know Bronco used to love recruiting that part of the country. We canā€™t afford so many flyers in hoops.

1 Like

My question appears to have been from a misunderstanding of the ā€œwarmā€ and ā€œcoolā€ designations. That is, I thought they referred to interest by the player for the program, though it is apparently the opposite. Either way, I donā€™t put much stock in those nor, does it seem that any of the people here who follow it closely do.

As to your point regarding BBā€™s skill level, Iā€™ve only seen clips of him against lower level competition on this site and he looked plenty impressive. But Iā€™ll accept HGNā€™s assessment form watching him recently that he was impressive against high level competition as well.

14 Likes

So he committed already? Cool.

7 Likes

Heā€™s a center who can shoot hook shots with both hands, understands thereā€™s more than one post move, and can dribble it better than a lot of true bigs. Plus his three point shot is at least already in development. Definitely has a long ways to go, including a lot of strength training and learning to bang with bigger athletic bigs, but when I watched his clips I thought he had a pretty solid foundation to work from. But he probably wonā€™t be an impact guy for us until heā€™s been in the program two or three years, as is the case with a lot of our true bigs.

I think part of the problem is, guys who primarily play the 5 who are already athletic freaks and can already score at a high level in high school are so rare that theyā€™re immediate top-ranked recruits and get snapped up by programs we struggle to recruit against. Have we ever landed a top flight center? Itā€™s always tossing guys into the developmental pipeline for us it seems like. Buchanan seems like heā€™s got as much potential as a decent number of dudes weā€™ve taken. But who knows - Iā€™m not a talent evaluator.

4 Likes

Noā€¦ itā€™s just a crystal ball from the 247 Virginia modā€¦

Itā€™s also a confidence level 6ā€¦ so it may just be a gut feeling by herā€¦

2 Likes

Your preferred guy gaining P6 offers by the day.

Is it? Really? I know who she is.

But I working the context clues here. Recruited for a year plus, only HM offer so far, first visit, and he/his mom cool with a RS plan. Did I get all the blueā€™s clues?

A kid that plays hard and has bounce, AND plays for a program we could potentially start looking into more for even more talent. Heā€™s played against considerably better talent and plays with players going D-1 in most cases. Less risk and the untapped potential is thru the roof.

You do know Gardner wasnā€™t a p-5 guy (until Xferring to us) and was heads and shoulders better than any HS big recruit on last years team? Our bigs have regressed and/or not shown the ability to score/finish in the post for 3 seasons. So yeah give me the kid from South Kent.

1 Like

They are not for the same spot. Tafara is a 4. Blake is a 5. We are still going to recruit Tafara with Blake on board.

Also I like how Eric Bossi told the Gonzaga board when he saw Blake Buchanan play he actually liked him more than Braedon Huff (who they got after they missed out on Traudt). Lol f em

3 Likes

Those videos are of a kid in his sophomore and junior years of high school. He still has a bit of physical maturing to do. I imagine that recruiters are looking at his potential after adding another 30+ lbs. Itā€™s unlikely his skill level will atrophy, but by his third year in college, his ceiling will probably be pretty high.

1 Like

Spot on.

2 Likes

Scouting reports on Jones and Kaiser:

Love Greg Jonesā€™ game. 6-6 SF typeā€¦ very skilled, terrific passer, can handle, shoot it a bitā€¦ was the best prospect on a 32-0 Hayfield team that was superb and won the Class 6 state title. One of the best public school teams Iā€™ve seen in a whileā€¦ just a well-oiled machine. Jones is due to see his stock go through the roof.

Kaiser can score it effortlesslyā€¦ went from Lake Braddock to Bishop Iretonā€¦ 3-sport standout in football, basketball, baseball, though seems to be concentrating now on basketball. Iā€™m not sure the move did him as much benefit as he had hoped, although his stock seems to be rising a great deal also. He might be more physically imposing and talented than Jones right now, but I think Jones fits more systems and has a bit more upside to him

8 Likes

You do realize CTB offers other kids with P6 offers right?
Igor and Carson both had to transfer down to P-6 because they were not ACC Caliber players.

Would it be appropriate to say Jones is a Wilkins type forward glue guy and Kaiser is an athletic 2-3 like Joe Harris? Thatā€™s how I see it but only from clips I watch

Iā€™d say Jones could turn out to be a better scorer than Wilkins - but is similar.
Kaiser - something tells me he wonā€™t be as good as Harris but Iā€™m a big Harris fan. I need to see more of Kaiser and see if he will continue to progress or is he close to his ceiling?

4 Likes

I have no debate with you. I was just giving more support for your position. Yes the Kiwi is a good player. We good?

No doubt my brother, we good man! Just talking hoops and Hoos something we all clearly love.

1 Like