3 'Hoos Drafted in the MLS Draft

On January 9th, the MLS SuperDraft took place and many Wahoos were drafted

With the 5th pick, Forward Daryl Dike was selected by Orlando
With the 6th pick, Defender Henry Kessler was selected by New England
With the 37th pick, Defender Robin Afamefuna was selected by Colorado

Also, Midfielder Joe Bell was signed by Vikings FK in Norway
and Daniel Steedman was signed to Atlanta FC 2 (MLS equivalent of G League)

Although it is sad to see them go after a heartbreaking end to the season, the Wahoos were well represented.

9 Likes

Wow that’s a a lot of Wahoos! I know just about nothing about soccer but this is still very cool. MLS SUPERDRAFT is a really cool name too

3 Likes

Yeah, 50% of my personal focus goes to basketball, with the rest going to soccer, lacrosse, and football. I got really into the soccer team this year, and followed them for a bit. I actually attended the championship in Cary, N.C.

It was a really a historic season for a historic soccer team.

5 Likes

That’s awesome. I watched the championship game. Epic clash. Happy for the hoos that were drafted

4 Likes

We can do a podcast with some old school Wahoo soccer guys. My years were Claudio Reyna years while Bruce Arena was the coach. Am good friends with all those guys if anyone wants that Access.

8 Likes

That be really cool to hear. They dominated fhe scene back then and as a kid in Charlottesville we all played soccer during that time because of the hoos

3 Likes

All great dudes too and amazing their reach in US professional soccer and beyond through the years. Cville then had huge following of soccer and womens basketball as well

5 Likes

Yes I remember those days of Women’s basketball and the men’s soccer . I remember the Lady Hoos losing a couple of heartbreaking games. Should have had at least one more trophy in our case

2 Likes

@DFresh11 that would be great. I would love to hear those players and Bruce Arena if you can. He was a legend.

1 Like

who would you guys wanna hear from?

3 Likes

Definitely Claudio Reyna, Erik Imler, Tom Henske who was clutch in pens in 1991, do you know those guys?

2 Likes

Incredible. Tom Henske is my best friend in Life. I am close with Claudio as well and he is a huge Uva hoop fan; we went down to a game 2 years ago together and have been to NYCFC game with him. Erik Imler was my year - EMu- I am sure I can find him.

1 Like

Here’s a poster I found online from the 1991 championship

1 Like

Are they going to be competitive next year after losing so much?

1 Like

they are always competitive I think

1 Like

A friend of mine, Patrick Foss, was a member of the 2014 National Championship team. He commentates games on ACCN and I’m sure he would be interested in something like this.

1 Like

That would be great. That’s a year before my time. I remember coming out to see UVA play Wake (I think), the year before I went to school when Reyna was playing in his last season. Best college player I ever saw play live.

As a side note, I went to the Final Four this year and when I flew out of Minneapolis on Tuesday, I went through security and stopped to grab a coffee at some little coffee shop. I was in an amazing emotional state having just witnessed the Final Four and Championship with a bunch of my friends from school. When I went to grab my coffee I looked over and saw Bruce Arena sitting there having a coffee. I was wearing UVA stuff and I nodded and gave him a thumbs up sign and he nodded and smiled back. He apparently is really into UVA sports and gets out to a lot of events. I think that’s pretty cool considering the career he’s had.

1 Like

Great story. Bruce was close with all the coaches back in the day as they were all close to each others offices etc. They even played lunchtime hoops together which was not fun to watch.

Similar story for me when I walked down to my seat for Semis in Minny there was a tall man in great sports coat in the aisle seat of my row. I immediately recognised Mrs Holland and yes my first Uva coach Coach Holland was in my row. What a great surprise that was. Spent some time after the game talking to him and Bruce as well. Bruce was always really cool with all the athletes back then.

Funny sidenote: I was texting with Claudio after we won it all. He said he was too superstitious to make the trip out. Thought that was pretty cool. All sports back then had a huge bond.

3 Likes

Great idea Lemme see what we can put together

2 Likes