A chance for UVA (GT game thread)

What is your guys’ score prediction for the game.
Mine is 65-50. I think we find our offense somewhat this game

1 Like

I think is 52-40 Uva

1 Like

They’re very credible, but I think utilizing their stats without context is dangerous. Too many broad conclusions can be drawn, and without an already in depth understanding of the game, the stats themselves, and the teams, the advanced metrics can be misleading. For instance, there was a lot of hype that through the first 15 games of the season UVA had the highest rated defense ever recorded on KenPom. While that was great and all, all it took was a brief glance at the offensive ratings of their opponents to determine that that success was unsustainable against the tougher competition upcoming. KenPom doesn’t provide context to their numbers, which is understandable since their function is to record and report analytical statistics, but there’s much more to the game of basketball than what the numbers tell us.

5 Likes

dont they adjust for opponents’ strengths/ weaknes?

1 Like

They do yes, and the method is fairly complicated. But it’s predicated on the expected performance of an opponent and can be skewed if a team that is normally a weaker or even run of the mill shooting team gets hot. As in, they don’t really account for outlier performances. In addition, when adjusting for opponent strength we can run into a sort of paradoxical cycle, as every team in college basketball has a primary, secondary, tertiary or further relationship with every other team to a point where it’s difficult to adjust off of nationwide averages. But yeah there still is value placed on to adjusting for sos, i just feel that so much more plays into a team’s defensively performance that is quite frankly, impossible to adjust for. That doesn’t mean KenPom’s sos adjustment isn’t valid, I’m just saying there’s more to adjust for than an opponents previous performances on any given night. Quite difficult to express what I’m getting at though :rofl:.

1 Like

According to Harry Truman:
“There are three kinds of lies; white lies, damn lies, and statistics.”
A presage perhaps of the misuse of b-ball data?

3 Likes

Indeed… of course I will note that I as much as anyone utilize these stats, but try and provide some of that necessary context, and when appropriate, record my own numbers :sweat_smile:. Difficult to strike the balance!

1 Like

Hey, I’m an economist, you wouldn’t believe the tenuous data I’ve been known to use. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Macro?

1 Like

Environmental. You?

1 Like

Ah cool. no am in financial markets but focus is on macro economics which I have learned through the job

1 Like

Slight change in the line up from the FSU game

Let’s remember he is a Hokie!

2 Likes

A hokie who formulated a metric that consistently ranks uva as one of the most efficient teams in cbb :rofl:

2 Likes

I should add tho, that with a subscription KenPom provides a great deal of other stats outside of just offensive and defensive rating that can be very helpful

3 Likes

The players were referencing Taylor Swift. I mean if it works it works

1 Like

Tired of Jordan Cornette games. Did he even play in the ACC?

2 Likes

Yes just giving him a hard time. Great source of information and unbiased data.

2 Likes

Nice start with the tip in!

1 Like

Loving Woldetensae at the beginning so far. He’s under close scrutiny by me.

2 Likes