ACC Tipoff Thoughts

Reece and Ryan just concluded. Most interesting point was when the panel asked about newcomers/breakout players, and tried to lead Reece to talk about Leon. Reece complimented Leon, but then took the conversation to praise Buchanan. Said he had improved, played well in the scrimmages, and had surprising poise for a first year.

Ryan agreed, and added that Buchanan struggled early, but is “all over the glass - offensive and defensive” and has shown an ability to face up, play with back to the basket and put back offensive rebounds.

Buchanan may be an early season starter.

Go HOOS!

36 Likes

Reece McKneely Rohde Dunn Buchanan lets ride.

Reece plus two rim protectors. two playmakers in Reece and Rohde. McKneely and Dunn stepping up into scoring roles. Buchanan developing as the center Tony always wanted.

10 Likes

Efton Reid is at Wake??? How did I miss that? :laughing:

1 Like

2-time undergrad transfer so he’s waiting on a waiver still.

2 Likes

Reece!! Actually talked a lot about Leon. But seemed like Buchanan jumped into his mind thinking about new guys, yes

21 Likes

I feel like it has gone under the radar how big of a deal it was for Blake to get the nod for the Nike Hoop Summit. It’s surprising Blake didn’t get a rankings bump after that, especially since he played well there. It shouldn’t be a surprise that he may start as a freshman.

16 Likes

Full opening comments:

Just looking at that caption, but will the ACC tourney not include all teams because half of them will be in the Big Ten or SEC or Big 12?

2 Likes

Ha - he said they like the current length of days so bottom 3 likely won’t get into the tourney with an 18 team league.

2 Likes

I’m very impressed with Reece from the clips I’ve seen. To think how soft spoken he was his first two years and see how confident he is with the media now is wonderful! Dude has been through a lot in his 3.5 years of college and I’m happy to see him coming out of it such a confident and composed man. Big year ahead for #2!

20 Likes

Another transition game / “turn blocks and steals into offense” reference:

https://twitter.com/UVAMensHoops/status/1717192787576164754?s=20

9 Likes

#subtweet

https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/1717221158385267119

15 Likes

He’s thinking most about …

• Kadin
  • Jabri
  • Traudt
0 voters

Yep

1 Like

Definitely Kadin. Goes back to two summers ago where Mike Curtis was talking about Kadins effort level and what not.

As someone who was very much “we are a better team with Kadin on the floor (except for guarding Jalen Washington or outrebound 6-7 houston small forwards)” i get what Tony was implying having watched Buchanan and Robinson in the scrimmage

6 Likes

When RD said Blake has been all over the boards on both ends it was telling…

16 Likes

I love it. Kadin has spent the last 4-5 months whining about it so I like Tony getting this very gracious jab in.

13 Likes

I liked the line about not wanting to be a secondary version of another program when it comes to how they recruit. And the line about wanting guys who want to come here for the full experience (vs because you’ve promised them certain things).

16 Likes

Yeah gotta be Kadin and Traudt. I think if you got an honest answer from Tony about Jabri, he’d tell you in a very nice way that he just wasn’t very good.

10 Likes