Almost Fall Recruiting Thread

It’s almost fall recruiting time. The dead period lifts on Monday. Coaches are allowed out on September 8th. And of course, there are visits scheduled next month…

24 Likes

How would you peg the odds of the Hoos landing Kon? My take from reading your article is:

UVA - 30%
Marquette - 30%
Duke - 25%
Alabama - 10%
Wisc - 5%

3 Likes

HGN picked UVA a few weeks while saying it was crazy close so maybe something like

UVA - 30%
Marquette -25%
Duke -25%
Alabama - 10%
Wish - 10%

With the caveat that visits could change anything

4 Likes

draining my 401k to buy kon.com web domain

3 Likes

I’m bad at thinking in terms of percentages…and also don’t want to try because explaining my rationale would be a jinx in my silly stuperstious mind. But I’ll play the over/under game.

UVA - 30% OVER
Marquette - 30% UNDER
Duke - 25% OVER
Alabama - 10% UNDER
Wisc - 5% OVER

I think with Kon it’s not that simple…you have to look at in terms of the way he’s doing things. We may not know for sure where UVA, Marquette, and Wisconsin stacks up but he pretty well does even if he hasn’t completely made up his mind about them. Today’s UVA vs Marquette decision is highly unlikely to be any different than next month’s. But Duke and Alabama haven’t been vetted yet.

20 Likes

That’s a great perspective. Pretty sure Kon has a favorite(s) going into the visits. Certainly, based on prior visits he and his family have pretty much figured out 1. I like this location the best 2. I like this coach (staff) the best 3. Where they feel most comfortable at 4. best place to develop and make the pros with the best chance of success between UVA MU and WI. As said, are 24-36hrs at Duke or Bama going to be able to overcome that or be so eye opening that he moves off of the above? That is the question. We have seen it before, but never with the level of entrenched relationships we have now. I also think the condensed visit schedule helps UVA/MU. As in the past if he does go to Duke or MU we can feel confident it was a stand up/transparent recruitment that we did all we could. Those are rare these days

4 Likes

This is TJ Power all over again

9 Likes

No, this go round we have the added advantage of Kon not growing up a UVA fan.

10 Likes

He didn’t directly say it, but if you read in between the lines, the intel says that the choice right now between Wisconsin, Marquette, and UVA would probably be UVA. But Marquette is close enough to not be able to say that confidently. And as HGN said, it’s unlikely the pecking order he has in his mind will change with those 3(we still don’t know what that order is for sure, but we can guess it’s UVA,MU,UW in that order). Would imagine he has a good idea what each has to offer, and which he’s leaning towards. These visits probably wouldn’t change that order much.

So we’ll see if Duke and Bama can impress more than those that have been on him the entire time.

1 Like

No, it isn’t, we had nowhere the level of relationships with Power that we have w Kon

4 Likes

When does Fall Start

• September 21st
  • First day school
  • First college football weekend
  • When Pumpkin pies and Halloween decorations get put on display at the local grocery store
0 voters
1 Like

Fall starts when my boys soccer matches can be coached in a long sleeve

3 Likes

When the humidity is gone for good. Though this August has been hard-to-believe cool.

In regard to recruiting, I have no idea.

3 Likes

We’ll see, but here are the receipts from a year ago

@HoozGotNext please let me know if I shouldn’t post this. It is paid content but from a year ago for a player who didn’t end up committing.

3 Likes

Meteorological fall starts Sept 1st, which also lines up with college football, so I’ll go with that. (The meteorological seasons generally make more cultural sense than astronomical ones anyway).

3 Likes

I am aware of how the recruitment played out. Not sure what this has to do with our level of deep relationships Kon vs TJ? I understand the basic principle of 'Duke comes in and we are screwed, see Keels/Power". I get it, was just saying this MIGHT be different for the reason stated.

3 Likes

I get it. But I think the main difference is that outside of us, largely no one thought Power was going to UVA. Duke 247 people felt good about him immediately.

Now there’s no talk from Duke 247 guys about Kon hardly at all. I think that’s telling. Also when looking at outside sources(largely Wisconsin people), they seem to mention UVA as a team to beat, and seem skeptical of Duke’s chances. According to @Foresthoo , Eric Bossi seems to like our chances. Even 247 Marquette guy thinks they should be most afraid of UVA. We got much less of that credit with TJ Power. Not to mention the long-standing connections we have to the family that we didn’t have with Power.

So I think it’s fair to say when consuming the totality of intel on the situation, it feels more legit for UVA with Kon than it did Power.

2 Likes

Fall starts after Labor Day

Kon starts after a redshirt

13 Likes

We’ll see. My thought process is trying to read HGN tea leaves rather than other variables because I think HGN is a better instrument for the real situation than anything I come up with from my own intel. And in that respect, all of the Kon talk has been heavily caveated and never terribly positive. I personally have found that the HGN stuff tends to be overly positive.

Like if the reports were outstanding positive from HGN, I might say ok then what other differences are there from TJ Power. But here, the reports from HGN are pretty covered and not super interesting one way or the other so I have not even gotten to the stage of “why is this different than TJ Power”

1 Like

Even though they’re very different players, does KK’s decision affect whether to recruit Mallory as a 2024 or 2025?