Almost Hoos Part 1

Will go ahead and drop here for the night owls.

Stories of recruits that almost were. Part 2 coming soon. I got a little carried away. It would have been way too long to do all 10 in one post.

11 Likes

Who doesn’t like Foxfield?!? In all seriousness, we could’ve had another title if Graham was on that Brogdon team.

2 Likes

Great list. Of those guys I think Butler is the biggest loss…YES I realize we wouldn’t have Kiehi and…all that might entail, but it might have worked out the same, then this year would be a little easier with him as a plus scoring pg.

Svi and Graham, meh. Graham was a great, great college player but a much better fit at Kansas. Volume shooter and not a great defensive player.

Jallow, not a huge loss

Juzang TBD. Its clear he is not OAD, would certain help out shooting ills and would probably be a better all around player than Tomas at this juncture

2 Likes

Loved the article, don’t follow recruiting that closely, but still found it intriguing and well written. Keep up the great articles

2 Likes

Good stuff here. Luther Muhommed at Ohio State would have been a perfect fit for us. Elite defender and knocks down 3s. Played HS with another Uva recruit Jhavon Quinerly and also Oregon OAD Louis King.

1 Like

Good list.

I’m gonna guess Delgado, Kenny Williams, SKJ, Matt Coleman, and Quinerly round out the top 5. At least, those would be my 5 with the exception of SKJ—Devonte Graham would be in my top five. Maybe one of the future lottery picks Tony pursued before others will be in there too (e.g. Embiid).

1 Like

I thought we were going to get him for sure once he visited.

1 Like

Wrong Coleman on that list IMO. I never thought he wanted to be a Hoo but I think the man making that list did.

We’ll see.

1 Like

I know him pretty well. He had great visit but was unofficial. After he did official visit to OSU for home football game it was over. Great kid that we should all root for nonetheless

1 Like

Always thought that the fans wanted Henry more than the staff—remember the feet dragging on offering him and Tony’s delay to actually go see Henry in person. I went with both Matt and JQ because of the big push to actually get a guard and Tony’s early offers to both.

By the way, I would put another Richmonder, Robert Johnson, ahead of Henry Coleman. Tony didn’t offer as quickly as some wanted, but the staff was all in after the offer. I also have a hard time saying that we really missed out on a guy when our class this year is strong as is the case with Henry.

1 Like

Yeah in all honesty Luther would have been in the top 10 closest. It’s jut that his recruiting story wasn’t interesting. It was short, no drama. Most fans that follow recruiting probably forgot we recruited him.

1 Like

This is awesome!

1 Like

Can’t wait to read part 2. Having said that, is Tshiebwe in it (or was he too much of a long shot)?

1 Like

coming tomorrow I think. No Oscar. I feel like Huggins pretty well had him locked him locked up from the get go, as John Calipari found out the hard way.

1 Like

Aaron Wiggins should get two spots on the list!

2 Likes

lol Wiggins is on there for sure. Had to be but at the same time it’s really not that interesting of a story in my opinion. So not near the top.

2 Likes

I mean Wiggins actually committed right? Seems like that would be the most interesting as none of the other guys did

2 Likes

Define commitment? To me, it’s when they make it known. You probably wouldn’t feel too confident in your fiancee’s commitment to you if she didn’t make it known to others.

2 Likes

Foxfield incident? Details?
What is not to like about day drinking and tailgating at the horse race?
Curious minds…

1 Like

I don’t think anything out of the ordinary happened. It was just the general ultra preppy with a southern twist setting. Not a place everyone would feel comfortable. Not a big deal per say. Except that was his lasting impression of UVa and the team. He left thinking, I don’t fit with these guys.

2 Likes