Baseball Preview

Just a little bored so I decided to see what good articles were out there. Found this good preview on STL. Short and good for people like me who have little to no knowledge of the team. I assume we have one coming on here soon too, but this is good for now. Hoos open up the season this Friday (February 14) in the “Wahoo Classic” for a 3 game series in Pensacola, Florida against Oklahoma. Hoping for a great season

5 Likes

Good stuff from STL, I’ll probably try and cobble something together in the couple days. Tough to evaluate this team preseason considering how many JUCO guys/transfers who are coming in. Similar to this year’s basketball team, I see this season as getting experience for next year when guys like Kent and Gelof are in their third (and likely last) years.

1 Like

I’m curious as to what caused the dropoff after their natty and are they back on track now

For a few years following the natty they were still a strong team, but were ravaged by injuries, especially among the pitching staff. Really, the pitching has been below par for what the expectation is for this program, in large part, yes, due to injuries but also with a few prospects who haven’t panned out. Last year, they hit well, but without any real power (ie home runs/multiple base hits). While it may seem obvious, the keys this yr will be finding some consistent starting pitching and power behind the plate.

3 Likes

Thanks, I knew they were a powerhouse for several years before they won it all. I hope they are back on track now. When I used to work in Richmond a few days every month I would stop by and watch them play if a game was scheduled. Had some good times there and they had some great players. Danny Hulzen was a stud. Read recently he had finally made it to the big leagues

2 Likes
2 Likes

Good video with some good insight and information

1 Like

Daily progress article. They have some pretty good stuff over there
https://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierinsider/virginia-baseball-season-preview-cavaliers-aim-to-turn-potential-into/article_81e0b5a5-fc30-5c9d-8612-53bfb8cc3157.html

1 Like

Found myself crunched for time, up in NY visiting colleges, so won’t be doing a baseball season/series preview but will write something sunday/monday about the results.

2 Likes

All good man. Enjoy your time. For anyone who wants it I’ll post whatever highlights, other articles, stats, etc I can find

2 Likes

Thanks guys, Is it gonna be televised?

Here’s the Virginiasports.com blurb on game coverage, looks to only be available in select areas:
Game Coverage: Cox Communication subscribers (available in select Virginia markets) can watch all three games on CST and Yurview. All three games can be heard on WINA 1070 AM/98.9 FM. Links to the audio broadcast as well as live stats can be found on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can receive in-game updates on the program’s official twitter feed (@UVABaseball).

1 Like

Thanks, if I’m home and cant find it WINA has always been my backup. See you in Omaha

1 Like
1 Like