Baseball Series Preview - UNC

Hard to believe it, but ACC play is already here.

UVA is on the road the first two weekends of conference play. Up first is a trip to UNC. Due to weather concerns, they’re starting the series today instead of the typical Friday start.

The Heels are a bit down from what you’d normally expect but they’ve got enough talent to be a worthy challenge.

9 Likes

Sheesh, this Love kid is DEALING. No hitter thru 6, making this game go by super quick

2 Likes

Heels end up taking the first game 3 to 2. Hoos fell behind 3 to 0 and battled back but couldn’t make a last run in the 9th.

It was one of the quicker games, especially for college, that I can recall watching. The game was completed in about 2 hours and 10 minutes to 2 hours and 15 minutes.

3 Likes

Thompson from UNC that went off on us today. He’s going to be a problem for the ACC all year.

3 Likes

No game today. Game added to Sunday.

3 Likes

UNC clinched the series yesterday with a 2 to 1 win.

We wasted another excellent day from the pitchers. A couple defensive miscues gave UNC their runs. And the bats are in a deep, deep freeze. We have not looked impressive at the plate this series.

UVA will try to salvage the weekend at 1:00 today.

3 Likes

Baseball won 3 to 2 today to salvage the series.

There were some lineup shakeups on offense. Hitting was better today than it had been. Nic Kent’s 2 run homer to make it 3 to 0 proved to be the game winner.

Pitching was excellent as it’s been nearly the entire season.

Mike Vasil was excellent in his start for the second weekend in a row (No runs in 6 IP, no runs allowed this year in 12.1 IP, got the win today to go 2-0).

Stephen Schoch game in during the 8th with 2 outs and struck out UNC’s best hitter with a runner on 2nd. The hitter was hitting almost .600 for the season at that point. Then he worked a flawless 9th to nail down the win and get his third save of the season.

With the win, we’re 4-3 on the season and 1-2 in the ACC. I haven’t gone through all the series results from the weekend, but it was a screwy weekend in the ACC from what I understand. I’d expect us to drop in the polls this week, especially Baseball America where we were over ranked at 2.

Next game is Tuesday against George Washington. It’s their season opener. I haven’t looked into them yet but they usually don’t have a very strong program.

4 Likes