Bracket to Determine Best UVA Basketball Game

Ha yeah it is, figured we’d throw that in to try and sway a couple votes :rofl:

2 Likes

I see what yall are doing

3 Likes

Come on guys, we can’t ALL vote against Coach Williford.

3 Likes

Is not fair. he was in both games so Jay cant lose. Literally

2 Likes

Aw we shoulda done two pics of him :man_facepalming:t3::joy:. Coaching vs playing.

1 Like

But, he was only in one photo . . ,

2 Likes

true. can I change my vote then?

2 Likes

Think so, just click show vote and then click the other option

ha. nah man. always go with first instict

2 Likes

Well, in that case can I change his vote? @DFresh11

3 Likes

hahaha. yes you can

I can’t seem to vote on these. Am I missing something?

We’d been closing each poll after roughly 12 hours, but decided to leave them open until we finish voting on all the first round matchups. You should be able to now.

2 Likes

I thought so too. That ACC Championship was massive. For some reason, after Gardner-Webb, I felt we never had to worry about Oklahoma. That may be an inaccurate statement in that you always give respect to your opponent, and I know it was close at times, but I knew we’d win. Or I thought we would!

2 Likes

In today’s first matchup we’ve got the 1981 third place win over LSU versus the 2019 win in Chapel Hill against the #8 UNC Tar Heels.

After making a run and reaching the program’s first Final Four, the Cavs lost to North Carlina in the National Semifinal, and wound up in the soon-to-be eliminated third place consolation game. They faced LSU, the #4 ranked team in the country. At the end of a back and forth contest, the 'Hoos came out on top 78-74. Jeff Lamp led the way with 25 points, Lee Raker finished with 21, and first year Ralph Samspon contributed 10 points and 11 rebounds. While it was certainly a disappointment to miss out on a shot for the National Championship, this win reaffirmed this team’s success and their potential moving forward with the emergence of first year center Ralph Sampson.

Following a loss to a ridiculously hot shooting Duke team only two days before, the Cavs traveled to Chapel Hill on a Monday night. Thanks to clutch, late shooting from Kyle Guy, Virginia came out on top 69-61, led by Deandre Hunter and Guy who each scored 20 points. Ty Jerome recorded a double double with 15 points and 11 assists. On the other end, Kihei Clark did a phenomenal job guarding first year phenom Coby White, who, while finishing with 17 points, shot 6-19. This was a an incredibly encouraging victory, especially considering the Saturday-Monday quick turnaround format of games (a la the Final Four) against two eventual #1 seeds.

• 1981 Third Place Game vs LSU
  • 2019 @ #8 UNC
0 voters
1 Like

Man that is tough. Won the last ever third place game. If not for Al Wood going crazy might have been in the championship game. Really tough matchup.

4 Likes

tough call for me as well. But bouncing back after Duke and going into Chapel Hill and winning was unreal.

4 Likes

This is a super tough one. Forgot that the UNC win was on the back of the Duke loss. That game also features one of my favorite Ty Jerome Dagger moments. All that said, Ralph had to get some love.

5 Likes

Today’s first matchup is between the 2019 Sweet Sixteen versus Oregon, and the 1995 win in the Sweet Sixteen over Kansas.

With a shot at making the Final Four on the line, the Cavaliers faced off against the Oregon Ducks on March 28th, 2019. In a low scoring affair, the Wahoos came out on top, 53-49. Ty Jerome and Kihei Clark led the way for Virginia. Jerome scored 13 points and dished out 6 assists, while Clark added 12 points and 6 assists of his own. The 'Hoos would go on to win the National Championship 11 days later. This game is often forgotten or devalued considering the epic nature of the three games that followed it, but this too was a nail biter of a game that very easily could have been lost.

On March 24th, 1995 #4 seed Virginia took on the #1 seed Kansas Jayhawks. This Virginia team had won a share of the regular season title earlier that season, and the experienced group was looking to make the deepest run in the NCAA tournament that a Virginia team had that decade. Led by Harold Deane’s 22 points, and the 18 points Curtis Staples and Junior Burrough each contributed, the Cavs came out on top, 67-58 and earned themselves an Elite Eight game two days later against Arkansas. Unfortunately, they’d lose that game, 68-61.

• 2019 Sweet Sixteen vs Oregon
  • 1995 Sweet Sixteen vs Kansas
0 voters

Not close here. no explanation needed I think.

6 Likes